Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you keep adult paired angels together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you keep adult paired angels together?

i had grown 4 fry/juvi koi angels together to adultsize, once adult 2 formed a pair and since then have chased the other two around my 65gallon tank, eventually the other 2 also formed a pair and spawned and it has been a back and forth of one couple cornering the other couple with the first couple being more dominant/successful, eventually during a chase (assuming) the female of the second couple jumped and died (i was very upset, these were my fav. prized pairs), anyway, since then the first couple has kept the male of the second couple in a 5 square inch spot in the tank where they can't get behind some driftwood, relentlessly harassing him if he leaves that corner, so here are my questions:

1) Can you keep adult paired angels together in a 65 gallon tank?
    2) If not, can you keep a group of adult unpaired angels together?

btw, i think i want to give the lone male a little time on his own is a separate tank to be in peace and then i will part with him, so if anyone is interested, he has very good form/finnage is currently about 3.5"+ (just body), larger with fins
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

You can keep paired Angels together, but there will always be aggession issues when they are spawing. Any group of adults that are not separated by male and female will try to pair off, it's just their nature. Females will sometimes pair off if no males are available as well. I've never had a pair actually kill off another pair, but the constant bickering can get tiring. Angels are cichlids, so they will pretty much bicker amongst each other regardless of their housing arrangement .
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

yes, i am amazed at how aggressive they are with the other angel, they are not nearly as mean to the other fish in the tank even during spawns, i might just move them by themselves to the 30gallon and see if they can raise any fry, usually in the 65 gallon all their eggs are eaten before they get to wigglers
      65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
      55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
      30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Working...
      X