My betta ate "something"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My betta ate "something"

Got home from class tonight and the betta didn't come to the top of the tank for dinner, which is very odd. Noticed he was resting on driftwood all flared and breathing heavy. The other thing I noticed was that "something" was sticking out of his mouth. It appears to be the end of an amano shrimp or possibly one of my teeny tiny baby bristlenose. Time went by and it didn't appear that he was able to digest it so I took him out of the tank got the tweezers and tried to pull "whatever" out of his mouth. He fought back and swallowed and now "whatever" it is is more firmly lodged in there and I can't get it with tweezers. He's still breathing heavy and short of giving him the heimlich I'm not sure what I can do.
    Karen

i'm so sorry to hear that....i have no idea what to do...i'd be going nuts about now....
    hopefully you can find PP and he'll know what to do???.....

Comment

I did hear from him :) He said his eyes are probably bigger than his belly and all I can do is wait for him to digest it. Appparently he doesn't appreciate having to wait for his dinner!
      Karen

Comment

Unfortunately, they were raises with "the quick & the hungry" rule.
        and they all have the eat it before it gets away mentality. When I ship bettas to shows they typically do without food 3 days there, 3 days at the show and 2 day coming home. As long as they're in good health to start with a week long fast is's a problem. So give him a little time for the digestive juices to work and he should be fine.
        Pulling something with spikes out backwards is not the answer.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I just worried about the goober because he sure did seem to be huffing and puffing.... That'll teach me to put shrimp in with him :) Good thing the danios are faster than him!
          Karen

Comment

i never realized that betta's were so aggressive.....

Comment

The same thing happened to my Parailapia about a month back. He ate a shrimp that was WAY too big for him, and the thing was sticking out of his mouth for over an hour, he was gasping and his mouth was wide open. I was freaking out- LOL.

He actually injured his mouth a little in the foray.... The scales on the side of his mouth were sticking out for a few weeks. He's fine now though :)

That is so funny that you pulled your beta out and tried to get it with tweezers! I was too afraid of hurting my little guy... Don't trust myself with tweezers in my fishies mouth

Comment

I didn't want to but I thought the brat was choking lol
                Karen

Comment

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
                  I didn't want to but I thought the brat was choking lol
                  , hope he gets better
                  Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Just checked with the wife and she says he's swimming around all fat and happy. That was an expensive dinner! LOL
                    Karen

Comment

Working...
                    X