Adding fish to a discus tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding fish to a discus tank

Okay, when I have my imaginary tank all cycled should I add my "other" fish like cardinal tetras first or should I add the discus first or does it matter?
    Karen

it wouldn't hurt to add the "other" fish first......

Comment

I'd add the cardinals first. Would help Discus adjust faster with dither fish present.

Comment

What the others said but then again it would work either way.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Just make sure the tetras are faster then the discus and larger than their mouths . I actually saw one of my discus try to chase a cardinal the other day at feeding time. But it was a short chase, my discus are lazy
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Eeek! Don't break my heart and tell me I can't have my cardinals :( they look so pretty in a school with discus!
            Karen

Comment

I do have cardinals with mine and they only go after them at feeding time. More running them off than chasing to eat them, they don't really see them as food, most as pests lol, at least that's the attitude mine have. Cardinals will be much better than neons, I think the cardinals get bigger.

Comment

That's what I like about the cardinals. They are bigger than neons and make a bigger statement. Very pretty
                Karen

Comment

You can also consider german blue rams. I've had them with discus before and they get along nicely as well.

Comment

I like the rams as well. Fell in love with Lorettas golden rams. Those need to be kept in pairs, right?
                    Karen

Comment

Yes, I think they are happier in pairs. When I went to pick up the plants yesterday he had an awesome pair of golden rams he had picked up at FRII, the one in Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
                        I like the rams as well. Fell in love with Lorettas golden rams. Those need to be kept in pairs, right?
                        Rams are heremically polygamous and do best with a ratio of 1 male to 3 or 4 females.

Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Hey, stop it with all the big words ! So you're saying the male rams are firm believers in free love .

Comment

Cool! A small herd of rams would be cool :)
                            Karen

Comment

I don't do over three sylables before noon :evil:, but yes, that would look really great as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X