minnows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minnows

does ne1 keep minnows in there pond. do they need to be out during the winter in 2' deep pond. do koi eat minnows?

Re: minnows

no, yes, no

minnosickles  
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Re: minnows

as long as the minnows are cold water, they can probably overwinter here without much issue.

Comment

I have mosquito fish, a type of minnow. They overwinter in Houston just fine. Koi WILL eat them. Koi will eat anything that fits in their mouths.
        Zone 9
        150G stock tank: one RES and a buncha mosquito fish.
        2 half-barrels with mosquito fish & snails.
        Seeking 2 small goldies!

Comment

ur right they dont seem to be too picky.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

minnow.....what is classified as minnow here??
            HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

You can always get the larger bait minnows from Gander Mountain. Those are Gold Shiners and I doubt they will fit in your koi's mouth.
              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Well, if you have a cast net with a small enough mesh you can actually catch some fish for your pond. I know Fish Gallery was selling "Red Horse Minnows", which is nothing more than a red shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis). They are pretty and found in every ditch, creek, pond (natural), and backwater in the houston area. I put a group of 10 in my mothers tank that I caught out in Sugar Land, and they are doing quite well. You can also catch some black-tail shiners (Cyprinella venusta), though they are somewhat harder to find. I caught some out near East Bernard. I like these because they are silver and have a nice sheen that would stand out in an artificial pond.

All these fish live in very shallow water in Texas, so I would only assume that they would survive in a pond deeper than many of the places I have found them. If the pond totally freezes over, you may have to find some new ones...
                Last edited by Sea-agg09; 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM.
                75 planted (Being Renovated)
                Endlers
                gobies
                lots of nanos

Comment

Originally posted by amilcar View Post
                  minnow.....what is classified as minnow here??
                  MINNOWS: Family Cyprinidae
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I guess what a minnow is depends on where you are.
                    The "minnows" in my pond are zebra and giant danios and green swordtails. The zebras and swords wintered over ; I added the giants this summer. They reproduce vigorusly in my system (pond + 40' stream).
                    My koi are sworn vegetarians; they are about 2 ' long (+ a handful of 3" fry) . The best way to see the "minnows" is when they pass above a brightly colored koi. I estimate there are 200 to 400 "minnows" .

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
                      MINNOWS: Family Cyprinidae
                      yeah I see what you mean....what my point is that different people call minnows whatever is small and that can be catched locally....I mean such as people calling gambusia affinis minnows when they are livebearers
                      HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amilcar View Post
                        different people call minnows whatever is small and that can be catched locally
                        I was going to say something similar, but wasn't sure if I would offend. I wanted to say that many people say "minnow" when they mean "bait," and don't care to differentiate between family, species, etc. :)
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

mmmmm bait, i agree with small common fish
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I just can't see spending money on aquarium fish when you are going to only see their top. Also what fish would be better to survive in a pond than fish that naturally live in texas... : )
                            75 planted (Being Renovated)
                            Endlers
                            gobies
                            lots of nanos

Comment

Originally posted by Sea-agg09 View Post
                              I just can't see spending money on aquarium fish when you are going to only see their top. Also what fish would be better to survive in a pond than fish that naturally live in texas... : )
                              well said.

Comment

Working...
                              X