Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

I got a pair Apisto one male and one female. Everything has been going fine for the week I have had them. I noticed yesterday that the female was hiding in the driftwood a little more then usual but thought nothing of it I can not remember if this was before or after my water change I think before. Well the water params are with in normal range and no one else is acting strange. Well today I got home after shopping and was looking for her and could not find her but I finally did she was laying on her side barely breathing. I grabbed her and didnt see any attack damages, no gill damage from infection. But I put her in a 2G tank but she isnt looking good she is breathing very slowly is there anything I can do besides pray. I love the look of them and want to save her.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Re: Need help

Drop extra air stones in there with her.  That helps a lot of the time when they are laying on their sides.  I've had that happen before, and just dropped them in a bucket with a couple air stones...an hour later, they were up swimming and ready to go back in the tank.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I've taken this advice, and its worked every-time.
      Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Brian,

I hope your fish are better by now.  If not, where did you get the pair from?  Just in case you didn't know Apistos, in my experience, do better in water with lower ph.  I've aclimated some before to 7.8 with no bad results, but to breed they need the lower ph.  

What I'm trying to spit out is maybe the tank parameters were different from where you got them.
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

I'm with Raul on this one.

Apistos are acidic water fish and honestly do best in that water. pH shock might be the culprit if they are new additions.

Usually shiiping is pretty hard on them too.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well she passed away last night. The pH is about 6.6 or so because of the Discus I have in there. The other Apisto seems to be fine but I guess she could have taken a change a little harder. Thanks all though
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
            X