Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you feed your fry ?

Homemade Liquid Fry  
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: What do you feed your fry ?

nls and dianichi. but i only have mouthbrooders so the fry are pretty big by the time they get spit out.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I generally feed mine live bbs unless I'm caught by surprise or a batch does not hatch right.  In those instances I have some Better N Brine I got off AB this is a very fine powder that will works great.  When they get a little bigger I take flake food, put it in a tightly sealed jar with a couple of marbles and rocks and shake till it's the desired size.  The jar/marble/rock method is also a good way to relieve tension, just imagine the rocks/marbles are the subject of your mental anguish.  I guess you could even write peoples names on the rocks if you wanted to   .
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Africans don't have fry, they spit out young adults......          

For them, I have had an abundance of skeeters (mosquito larva) ever since IKE came to town.
        The trick is to stick your fish net below the surface and swish it around the walls.  You get plenty of tumblers without disturbing the eggs.
        Collect every day to make sure you get all the Mosquito pupae, commonly called "tumblers", before they can morph into an adult.
        Don't want those little monster bitting the neighbor or your pets.....
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I feed NLS growth which is a 0.5mm pellet but outside of that its frozen cyclopeeze or daphnia.

I did order some 9in1 rotifer powder and artemia from azoo. In case I get into breeding egglayers again.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Does anyone have a rotifer culture ?

Comment

BBS, microworms and mosquito larvae. By the way if anyone needs a microworm culture just let me know.
              Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I mix decapsulated brine shrimp eggs with fish flakes, algae tabs, shrimp pellets, and dried blood worms ground to a powder.  My fry and grown fish love it.

Comment

i'm feeding them crushed aquarin flakes but may need to go and get all that stuff you mentioned?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I just got in the Azoo 9 in 1 fry food... the Rotifera and the Artemia and the juvi paracyps I have are going nuts over the stuff!!!

I don't have any fry at the moment and these were the closest things to small I have to test it on.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Vinegar eels, BBS, Microworms... in that order of growth.

I'm about to start a new vinegar culture.
                      Lemme know if anyone wants a a starter culture..
                      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I just got one from Spot.  Bannana worms also.  
                        But thanks for the offer.

Comment

i have fed microworms/walterworms, crushed flakes, BBS, and have fed Better then Brine before too. i love how the fish go after live foods, almost everything i have though will do fine with microworms or walter off the bat. so that saves me the trouble of BBS (though i keep frozen on hand). I really like the idea of the homemade liquid stuff. im gonna give that a try in the next few weeks. and of course i am a very firm believer in have live plants in with all my fry, just keeps lots of little things alive for them to feed on. java moss and guppy grass all the way.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

When bettas spawn, it two more days before they hatch and another 2 days before the yoke sack is gone.
                            So I have time to order a MW culture or start an infusoria culture from scratch.
                            But just in case, I keep an old spice shaker filled with 1/3 decap BS eggs, 1/3 golden pearls, 1/3 ground shrimp powder (spice shelf at the grocery store) and a dash of paprica and other color enhancers.

Comment

Ocean Nutrition sells bottles of rotifer, phytoplankton, golden pearls and some other good live stuff.

Good in case last minute foods is needed.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X