zip drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zip drops

i'm tired of spending 40.00 a month on AmQuel plus. so i bought a pound of sodium thiosulfate to make zipp drops. i know the problem about the ammonia(nitrogen) but someone told me one drop of formaldehyde per 10 gal will take care of the ammonia? or would it be better to buy one of those carbon filters to take care of it? I'm not on city water yet but will be in 6 months.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Re: zip drops

I got a carbon filter about 2 months ago and love it.

Get a carbon filter. Less measuring and chemicals. Contact delock.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

+1 on the carbon bottle.

I use to use amquel and novaAqua together but slowly weaned off once I got the carbon filter.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah......read nothing but good things about the carbon bottles!

You can always keep the water in a big tub with a power head for a few days and not spend any money on conditioners.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

But it still won't remove all that the carbon bottle does and to do hundreds of gallons worth of water changes multiple times a week ageing water doesn't sound too promising.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Discus need the water to be aged so could I use a carbon bottle instead and skip that step?  I don't have discus b/c I don't want to mess with the aging water barrel and pumps.
            Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

I don't have discus either....not sure if they need the water aged.  That's the first time I read that.....but I'm no discus expert.  What they do need is really really really clean water. Most people I know are say automatic water changing systems....O how I wish I could!

I couldn't age any water! I only have two tanks and I'm so lazy most of the time I only do water change on one of them.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I think the aging part is more of not having chlorine and having stable water parameters since they seem to fluctuate after being out of the tap for a while.

I have not measured any great differences in parameters out of the chlorine bottle vs. aging so I would say that in my area it would be safe to use. I have a friend that is doing like 3x100% a day water changes with just a carbon bottle.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Does the carbon bottle filter out particulates like rust from my pipes?  I'm normally a shower person but while taking a bath the other day I noticed the water had a brown hue that indicates rust.  It's an old place.  :(
                  Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

It will remove metals to a point.

Are you using the lower spout to fill your tank? I live in an old house too and if the lower spout is never used we sometimes get the same thing but the garden hose has never come out like so. Also my copper test so little to no signs of rust.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I usually run a paper filter in front of the carbon filter to remove rust, mud & other solids. but I only use a 10" filter and a 1/4" water line.
                      The carbon filters you guys are talking about fits on a hose bib and has a high flow rate.  Do they make paper filters for that high of a flow rate ?  
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You can easily run a pre-filter before the carbon filter.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i'm on some real good water from the evangeline aquifer now. but this month or next they are switching to lake houston !@#$% water. so i'm pming d now to get the carbon tube.  8)

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

FRK  DIG A WELL.  ur a doityourselfer.  figure out how you could dig your own well so the city dont konw and bam problem solved.  lol  few hundred feet of pvc,  a big asss drill bit and couple cases of beer and im sure you could figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_tsam";p="
                               I'm normally a shower person but while taking a bath the other day I noticed the water had a brown hue that indicates rust.
                              You sure that was from the pipes and not your skin? ewwww
                              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                              X