Noob question - Breeding Quality and bloodlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question - Breeding Quality and bloodlines

So, I know that everyone always wants WC tropheus BUT, will the F1 fry from these wild caughts pretty much grow to look exactly like their parents?  Or will they lose color or have different color variations?  Thanks!
    ADA mini-m planted
    ADA mini-m riparium
    ADA 30-C nano reef
    ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
    ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
    Eheim 90cm SA biotope
    110g Peacocks

Re: Noob question

F1's typically can turn out pretty nicely, at least some of the ones I've seen have. I believe it's the second and third generations that tend to lose color, not grow as big, etc. But of course, this is all dependent on the condition on the parents..

Comment

There are a lot of factors that determine how nice your fish turn out.  Water parameters and condition have a big impact on them as well.

Comment

f1 fry are great. they grow up together and make a good non aggresive group.colors are fine.  i'll have some f2's soon so we will see on them?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

F1's will look great if the WC parents look great.

When keeping a F1 colony, it is really better to try and get atleast (2) different sources.  This way the genetics is varied as much as possible.

Typical Wild Colonies have only 1-3 dominant males that will breed succesfully with about 5-8 females, and then the rest stay pretty much in the huddled masses.

F2 Colony I would DEFINATELY get (2) sources to build my colony.

Anything after F2 is considered tankraised and the quality from there does diminish IF the breeding stock was not maintained with fresh blood.

Pondraised colonies are hit and miss, because you do not know who is breeding with who, moms and dads, brothers and sisters, no telling.  This is why pondraised colonies are a gambit.
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Re: Noob question - Breeding Quality and bloodlines

If left to breed within the single parent colony I would say the problems or loss will not be seen till past 3-4gen.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
            X