Breeding pineapple swordtails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding pineapple swordtails

I have had my pineapple sword tails for a long time.  I think I got them in April or May, and they are getting really large.  There are 4 males and approx 13 females.  So far there are no fish that are pregnant.  Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Breeding pineapple swordtails

i will ask if there are live plants in the tank, because they love those. also what kind of food are they getting, because they tend to want to breed more with frozen or live food being givin to them.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Howdy,

What size tank and good suggestion about planting with live plants and better foods.  How old are the swordtails?  They should be breeding for you but the fry may be eaten.  Later, ken

Comment

I feed my swords flake food, keep them in a 20h bare tank w/ java moss covering the bottom and 1ABN & 3 panda corrys.
        They don't have many fry but they come out half grown  
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I got them as tiny fry - so probably only a day or two old.  they would be 4-6 months old.

I keep them in a planted 14 gallon, and feed them flake, tubifex, brine shrimp and bloodworms.  Not all at once, but I generally do one feeding flake, one feeding frozen treat each day.

They aren't eating the babies, because none have gotten pregnant - no gravid spots, and I believe they show the gravid spot like guppies and platys right?

Now one male has developed the "sword" and three more males are growing theirs out - they have started posing and chasing the females and each other somewhat - no real bullying, yet....

I will be moving them to my 55 gallon tank with some lyre tail mollies as soon as my cichlids sell.  The 14 gallon will be too cramped for them and their babies, I was just surprised not to have any yet.

Comment

I have a 55g all livebearer tank and I feed them Nutrafin max Livebearer food with Tubifex Worms. I have two Platys that would not breed and I started feeding them this and they breed. The female should have a gravid spot that is somthing that
            all livebearers have when they are pregnant unless it is a dark clored female.
            Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Howdy,

They are just getting to mature breeding age.  What size are they"  I like my swords to be at least 3-5" before I breed which could make them 4-10 months old.  with mollies, swords & platties I like the larger later maturing males for breeding it makes for hardier fish.  If he you correctly 17 swords in a 14 gallon tank is very tight; when moved to the 55 gallon they should grow alot and mature more quickly.  Cull heavy because they all will not be breeders and give to friends.  You feed your fish well so hang tight until you can move them to a bigger tank;  14gallon is big enough for just one breeding pair of swords.  Later, ken

Comment

Wow, ok.  Do they pair off?  I thought they were more like guppies - kind of a free for all....

I can't wait to get them into the 55...

If I have 6 mollies (5 female, 1 male) and their fry, how many male and female swordtails should I use?

Kris

Comment

I have heard you can have 1 male-1 female, 1 male-2 female,1 male-3 female and so on. You will want a higher count of females to every male if you want more fry. I like to use about 1 male to every 4 females but like I said the more females to every male the more fry.

I hope this helps you.
                  Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

If you ever do manage to breed them, pm me and i would gladly buy some! I used to have some that bred like crazy, then i switched tanks without cycling and they all died. pineapple swords are one of the prettiest in my opinion, and you dont see them very often. You do see the lyretails, but i think the normals are nicer and ive been aching to get them again.

Comment

Well I just moved them to the 55 gallon today, so hopefully all will go well for them and they will start breeding.  However, I have approx. four males and was considering selling a trio at the upcoming auction...so I could be convinced to part with one now...

Comment

Working...
                      X