Petrochromis sp. Texas Karema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrochromis sp. Texas Karema?

I found this picture on this site of a Petro I've become obsessed with finding more information about - but have found nothing. Admittedly, I know very little about Petros in the first place. However, my question is: Is this fish available locally (can be by mail-order as well) and are there any other Petros that look and act similar to this type?

Petrochromis sp. Texas Karema:
    Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Re: Petrochromis sp. Texas Karema?

Nothing?

Comment

poloydon have the same markings

Comment

Most of the Petrocrhomis sp.Texas all have the same black,silver banded markings, and the weird pattern on the head.

Some of them will have other colors depending on location.

I do not know anyone that keeps sp.Texas Petros, but if you were to go to Alex's store, he might could tell you which customers have tried keeping them or he sold to.

All Petros generally "act" the same, just some are more violent than others.  There's basically (2) types of Petro behavoir, you have those that will colonize and group together like the Famula types, or you have the more individual types that are sometimes very very difficult to get to group and be co-habitat in the same tank.

I would say that most of the Petrochromis macrognathus varieties have a lot of simialr pattern markings as the sp.texas do.

What are you looking to do?  Import, or find local fry?
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I had read that they are good tank-mates with the Tropheus, and love to eat algae, so I was still in the research phase of considering adding some to my Tropheus colonies.

Suggestions??

Comment

Nice looking fish, keep us posted on your research results.

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

In all honesty, I am starting to be a proponent that Petros do not make good Tropheus tank mates.

They fight each other when at the same size, and a dominant male petro wants the entire tank, that he starts to breakup all breeding by the Tropheus.

ITs up to you and what you really want.

I love Petros, and yes my trophs do breed with the Petros in there, but its severly reduced from what it used to be.

Petros are really cool fish.

I keep Petrochromis Trewavasae and Famula Chimba.

Famula Chimba - John Jolley Pics - I have 21 of these fry that are now in the 4-5" size - This was thier daddy

Trewavasae - I have 18 Wild Caught in size from 4" to 6"

Hope John does not mind I borrowed some photos..
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
              X