Will this pump work????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this pump work????

Went to Lowes today and bought a pond pump for my first attemt at a DIY wet/dry. I've read somewhere that the pump should pump twice the volume of your tank an hour....so for my 100g I bought a 210 GPH Garden Treasures pond pump....will this work? I will be posting the whole build with pictures....

Here's some pics of the pump....

A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Re: Will this pump work????

The pump is more than likely rated 210 gph at 0.0 head.
    with your wet/dry on the ground and your tank at eye level you have 6' head.   Check what the rated flow rate is at 72" head...... not so much.
    If you are going to use a UV steralizer or a cartridge filter or any other goodies between the pump and the tank you will need even more rated flow.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
      The pump is more than likely rated 210 gph at 0.0 head.
      with your wet/dry on the ground and your tank at eye level you have 6' head.   Check what the rated flow rate is at 72" head...... not so much.
      If you are going to use a UV steralizer or a cartridge filter or any other goodies between the pump and the tank you will need even more rated flow.
      I thought of that when purchasing....7.8 ft max pump ht. ...just added pics so that should help.

Comment

Is the rating at 7.8'? Sometimes their advertised rating and max head is on totally different scales....also I think you should shoot for 200gph over what the overflow is rated for.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

OOOOHHHH ....I see it now....210 GPH at 1 ft.....max is 7.8 ft....It will have to push the water up 3 1/2 ft, what is that? Around 100 GPH?    Great!....well, this is why I posted here before I even opened the package.

Comment

id go with a mag 7.  fshfrk runs mag 9's on all his i think. ask him though. but he runs homemade wetdrys.  im gonna run a mag 7 on my 90g tank and a homemade wetdry and trial runs have showed good things.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHunter";p="
              Thought of that when purchasing....7.8 ft max pump ht.
              Max head means that if you try to pump water as high as 7'-8" you will get 0.0gpm flow.  NOT that you will get 210gpm at 7'-8".
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

What about at 3 1/2 ft.....maybe 100GPH ????

Comment

100gph?

I think my 10g is running more then that....
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                    100gph?

I think my 10g is running more then that....

8O ....so....a Mag 7....where do I find these and what kind of price will I be looking at? I checked Petco and Mart unless they just don't post them on thier site.

Comment

I would look on MARSHReef.com cause there's always someone selling them for cheap....or look into an Eheim 1260/1060 which I think lilredvette on there is selling one.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would look on MARSHReef.com cause there's always someone selling them for cheap....or look into an Eheim 1260/1060 which I think lilredvette on there is selling one.
                        Are the mags servicable? As in, if something breaks on them do they have replacement parts so that an iduvidual can repair the pump or does it have to be sent in or just have to buy another? Just leary buying used power equipment since warranties are not usually valid to second buyers.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I get this right ....and cheap.

Comment

Only thing that really ever needs replacing is either the magnet/impeller or the housing/rubber seal.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Only thing that really ever needs replacing is either the magnet/impeller or the housing/rubber seal.
                            Sounds great....this pump I have will definitly be going back! Mag 7....here I come!

Comment

Here's a mag9

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X