fshfrk's homemade siphon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fshfrk's homemade siphon

Perhaps he'll add to this post giving us the details of how he made this....:)
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Re: fshfrk's homemade siphon

Sweet, I'll have to make one of those. I take it, that's a suction tube to get the flow going. Can't remove any poop, just a quick water change. Thanks for the idea.

FF

Comment

Looks like a combo of 1" or 1 1/4" pvc stock and tubing....a smaller version of this could be made with 3/4 inch stock as well...looks fairly simple and might cost less than 25.00 at home depot.  Now that stretch of hose might cost a bit more??

I especially like the fitler at the intake end...nice touch there john...

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Sweet! I need to make one of those!
        Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I was there when he was explaining how to use it.

you close the large ball valve on the main tube, and open the little one on the primer tube.

hang it over the tank.

suck on primer untill you see water in the clear tube, close primer ball valve

open large ball valve and away goes all the water!

I also remember that the pieces that go down into the tank were not glued in place, they could be separated and you could use differing length pieces to fit the size of tank/waterchange you're doing.

Pretty simple/ingenious design.

I forgot the directions to use it as a bong but I'm sure someone else can chime in    

Comment

o my gosh.     :smokin:   you were at that party too !!
            "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
            "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
            -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

1" spa tube fits almost water tight in 1 1/4 thick wall pvc. below valve i used some dishwasher gasket with hose clamps. i leave thin wall pvc pipe just outside back door. running out into back yard and water grass.i set this thing on a big hook on back porch and leave it all connected.with the spa hose it's flexible so it will go around corners and doors. get those good valves from the salt water places. i can't think of the name-lee's? the ones at home depot are hard to open and close. angled pipe is not glue so you can use different lengths for tanks. end of spa hose has a 2ft pc of 1 1/4 thick wall. use couplings to attach sections of thin wall pipe to run out in yard. but do not glue so you can run to different areas. you will need spa hose as long as it needs to be to get a couple of ft out side door or window you are draining to. only thing is if you are going over a canopy you have to open the valve in small increments to get the siphon started.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

In the house, I have a "y" valve in the shower pipe, a 1/2" pipe to 3/8"tube adapter, 20' of 3/8" ID tubing and a strainer from an old filter,
                I pull the hose out of the bathroom closet, connect it to the shower and run it to the nearest tank.
                then I turn on the shower and switch the "y" valve to prime the tubing turn off the shower and drain the old water to the tub.
                To refill, adjust the bath water to the right temp and swith from bath to shower and fill the tank back up.
                I add the amquill+ while the tank is filling.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I just made one of these but smaller and it works great! Thank you fishfrk!  :)

Comment

Originally posted by fishboyt";p="

cool!

you should post some pictures and tell anything you did different.

Comment

Looks very efficient. I think I might plan on "borrowing" this design as well. Thanks!
                      Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

pretty cool little set up you got there john.

Comment

Originally posted by JStrider";p="
                          Originally posted by fishboyt";p="

cool!

you should post some pictures and tell anything you did different.
                          Oh I will!  :)

Comment

Okay, first off thank you fshfrk! I did make some changes to the siphon. First I changed the PVC from 1/14 inch to 1/2 inch. Then I made it smaller so it would fit my tanks. I also changed the imput ( part that goes in the tank ). I did that by cuting a 10 inch piece of PVC and then conecting it to a piece of 5 inch PVC with a 1/2 inch coupling this way I can change the height when ever I need to. I also made the part that hanges over the rim of the tank changable also. I did that by taking a 3 inch piece of PVC and a 2 inch piece of PVC. I stuck them together with a coupling now it can be 5 inches wide,  3 inches wide, or even 2 inches wide just like the imput can be 15 inches long, 10 inches long, or 5 inches long.

Here are some pics. Note: This is just a tester to see how good worked. I will get brand-new PVC later on.

Comment

Jesper gave me the ideal for a adjustable imput. so here it is.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                              X