Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trophs vs. petro.....who is the hardier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trophs vs. petro.....who is the hardier?

Was just wonder between trophs and petro which one can deal with the "harder" water conditions.

1) high nitrate? (back with water change!)
    2) bloat?
    3) aggression? (but I'm sure everyone will say petro-but I just want to ask :) ).

So all experts out there....what do you think?  :emtthumbs:
    I ate my fish that died.

Re: Trophs vs. petro.....who is the hardier?

I think it has more to do with the fish's background then sp.
    Too many variables come into play.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I was reading this tread......I'm no expert so I wanted to see if there was any truth to it.

I understand that there are too many variables that can come into play, but I was wondering what the "generalities" were....

Example: all Asian people eat rice.

p.s. I can say that.....I'm Asian. :emtthumbs:
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I would say in general if everything was exactly the same, the fish were on the same levels of health, perfect conditions and all.

Pretty much the same but maybe petros slightly hardier.

But with that said this is not a perfect world and most will not have the perfect setup for these fish so who's to say?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

1) Tropheus
          2) Tropheus
          3) Tropheus

Tropheus are more hardy, they can take a lot more of a beating than Petros.  I have seen Petros get sick and not recover.  

They do not handle the stress as well as Tropheus, and some of that might be because of size and intestinal strength.  If Petros get sick, they have a much harder time bouncing back.

Petros die quick when you have agression issues, because their huge mouths can kill in one or two bites.  They tear each other up, and are a lot more territorial.  Petrochromis are not widley kept, to much success, and almost no tankraised generations exist, so you mostly have wilds they that are conditioned from the lake to be territorial as all get out.
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
          X