Albino Veiltail Pleco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albino Veiltail Pleco

I'm not really big on the terminology surrounding plecos and such, so you'll have to forgive me. I'm not sure or what exactly to call them. They have been called long fin albino bristle nose plecos along with numerous other things. From my minimal research online, they seem to be some type of Ancistrus. Perhaps someone can help clear all this up for me...

Anyhow, I have a 36" 30 gallon tank with 5 of these guys as well as some red cherry shrimp and some Cyprichromis fry. Yesterday I noticed something weird going on in the tank, so tonight I though I would shoot a couple quick photos. Keep in mind that that photos were taken in the dark with a flash, so I had know idea what I actually took a picture of until I loked at them on the computer. Also keep in mind that I am a horrible photographer. :?

See anything weird in there??
    Look toward the top of this pic...

Or how about the bottom of this pic...

Anyone know how the long fin gene is passed down? Is it a dominant or recessive trait? What percentage of the fry will also be of the long fin variety. The individual that I aquired these from said that they breed true... is this actually a possibility?

Sorry for all the questions...
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Re: Albino Veiltail Pleco

Tim that's awsome....all i can say is that i've never seen any of those guys before.....but if you have fry in there that look like them....i want to get in line for a couple of them.....

oh, and congratulations.....

Comment

The first picture almost looks like a clown.  
      They are beatuiful fish, I'm not sure about the breeding thing. I did read somewhere a while back that they do breed true. I just can't remember where I read it.
      A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Coooool,  Are they the babies big enough to bring to the HAS auction on Sunday?  I would bid on them.  Thank you for sharing the photos!  later, ken

Comment

islander - The babies aren't large enough yet. I just noticed them for the first time a couple days ago.  What would be a good price if I were to offer them up for sale on here?

fishlady - Thanks. I'll mark you down for a couple one they get larger.

edmlfc - I really hope they breed true. The bristles on my male isn't as big as that one, but he is still growing.
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Very awesome!

I think you should raise those fry and see if the gene bred out into them!
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They will be raised to a point where I can tell if they bred true.  I was just seeing if someone could give me a clue as to what to expect. Looks like I'll be expecting lots of little veil tails.

Comment

Probably expect quite a few pm's......
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would suspect that both the albino trait and the long fin trait are recessiver genes, which means that if both parents are albino & long fin then all the fry will be also.

Most genetic varities not seen in the wild are recessive !!!  
                  If they were dominant, we would find them all over.

Congratulations,  I know how you feel.  Last month I found Red & blue tetra fry swimmng in my planted comunity tank.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                    I would suspect that both the albino trait and the long fin trait are recessiver genes, which means that if both parents are albino & long fin then all the fry will be also.
                    Great; that is what I needed to know!

Comment

arm congrats on the fry,  the first pic looks like a lady with long flowing dress and puffy hair, am i the only one seeing that????

although they are interesting looking, honestly (just personal taste), they completely are freaking me out, giving me hibbyjibbys  :wink:
                      65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                      55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                      30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I have one albino longfin, one brown longfin, half a dozen albinos and one dwarf (only 2") scattered around my fish room.
                        I plan on trying to spawn them one day.   Can you pass on your water paramaters & setup information please.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

PP - what is a dwarf pleco?  never heard of one?  is there a scientific name for it?  or where can i read a profile on it?
                          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I bough a bag of 3 albino bn plecos at a previous HAS auction and added them to my planted tetra tank.
                            Two of them are big - 5"+ but one little girl is only 2" and hasn't grown for the last 3 months.
                            I'm planning on breeding her back to her brother in hopes of getting a few more dwarfs.

Comment

Tim
                              I believe that Spot has some of those guys.     Saw a long time ago at Alex's shop.    Cool pics.
                              "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
                              "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
                              -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

Working...
                              X