pond filtration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pond filtration question

So I built a small 300 gallon outdoor pond at my sister's place. It is exposed to direct sunlight all day.
    What kind of filtration does it need ? and how to make the water NOT green ?
    any tips on DIY pond filter ?
    it's my 1st time dealing with pond.
    any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Re: pond filtration question

hey i dont have one yet cause of baby but i have been doing tones of research.  there are some great DIY pond filters made outta big plastic drums.  300 gallon you could use one big barrel and make a SWEET filter.  im lookin for the one i was gonna dublicate.  the water pumps in the top, through filter pad, bio, carbon whatever you want, and then gravity feeds from a drain in the bottom.  but if it clogs up it has a hole higher up to act as a safety overflow.  search online fro diy pond filters and u find nice stuff

Comment

I once made one of those filters out of the flower pots, it grew the bacteria but it would not clean the water.    Maybe I should have goten the special bacteria in the bottle like they sell at the pet store.

FB
      Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I just started a 100 gallon pond out of a stock tank from a farm /ranch supply house.  I used a powerhead and a 2 quart cranberry juice plastic bottle.  
        1. I cut the bottom of the bottle,
        2.  siliconed a 1 inch hose nipple (hardware store),
        3.  cut a piece of stainless screen to fit inside the top of the bottle where the main body starts angle to form the top,
        4.  filled top part with 100 % polyester  batting from (Hancock fabric by the yard),
        5.  Add charcoal or what ever you want in the middle,
        6.  add some more polyester batting,
        7.  finally add a layer of foam (prefilter) that is for the window air conditioners or the blue filter material (hardware store).

Use a 1 inch hose to connect the filter to the powerhead ( put end of hose in boiling water to soften hose before connecting to connection).  The power head that I used was a 350 GPH.    I also used an ice pick to put a few holes along the sides of bottle to prevent burning up the powerhead incase of the filter totally plugging up due to neglect.  This is a cheap easy do it yourself filter.  Cost under 40 dollars.  The pond water is clear enough to see the bottom now!  sunrise

Comment

I made my filter out of a big plastic pot, powered it with an internal pump in the pond. Inside the filter is 3 layers, foam, charcoal, and fiber. As for the green stuff, I use an internal UV Sterilizer. At the beginning , i left it on all the time, but now I just turn in on when the water starts to not be crystal clear. It takes about 2 days to clear things up again.

As far as water change, 1- rain, 2- python out the poop and add tap water.

In the morning I usually scoop some of the water out of the pond and water the plants with it. Then when I feel the need , I add water back in the pond.

That's pretty much it.

I clean the pond probably 1-2 times a week depending on how lazy I am .

Comment

This is the filter that one of the members of AquariumBoard.com uses on her 6,000 gallon pond. It keeps her water crystal clear and her koi are huge. It may give you some ideas.

Here are some pics of her pond and filter:

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Things to help with reduce the likelihood of ending up with green water: plants, shade, and a UV sterilizer.
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

That's a nice setup

Comment

for the algae you really need to get some shade, plant some lilies in there

Comment

Some daphnia will help also.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

What you should do to control the algae is create a "bog" system...that's what I used when I did an outdoor pond for my mom's house.

Comment

Working...
                      X