Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to regulate the output of a sub. pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to regulate the output of a sub. pump?

I need a way to lower the output of my submersible pump.  right now it puts out about 1400 gph and i only want about 600 gph.  where could i find a regulator valve to put on the output side of my pump?  or could i install a resistor to lower the electrical draw and lower the output that way?  thanks for the help
    I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Re: how to regulate the output of a sub. pump?

I think that you are better off trading the pump for something smaller rather than trying to regulate the flow.  If you try to lower it on the output side of the pump it will put undo stress on it causing premature failure.  There also aren't very many pumps that will run correctly at lower voltages.  They are designed to run at a specific amp draw with a specific amount of current.  One thing that you could do is plumb multiple outputs thereby reducing the direct flow at one point and spreading it over various points of the tank.  But going from 1400 gph to 600 gph by any other measure just really isn't feasible in my mind.  Others may have another option that is viable for your needs.

Comment

Hanson is right....that is a lot to try and throttle back which could only lead to disaster.

Other then splitting it off to tons of outputs I would sell/trade that thing off for something smaller and closer to what you are needing.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

if my wet/dry setup could take it would there be anything wrong with using a pump with this high of an output?

Comment

Nothing wrong with it per say but you just need to make sure that you can feed the pump with enough water to the tank not to run the pump dry.  If your overflow or flows aren't rated for the output you could have an issue.

Comment

No it would not......that's if your overflow can handle the output.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i built a pretty large wet/dry.  24" long x 15" wide x 15" high.  the drip tray and bio ball section is half of the tank.  i should be able to to fit about 5 gallons of bioballs in it.  i built the overflow and skimmer box.  the overflow is 10.5" high x 6" x 6". i have not drilled the holes in the bottom of the overflow.  what size holes would i need to maintain this amount of flow?  And one hole or two?  what size tubing should i use?  thanks for the help guys

Comment

I would go with two holes using two 1" bulkheads and pipe it down from there with two 1" hoses into the wet/dry.

Comment

why not just do one 2" in bulkhead?  is there a benefit to using two different bulkheads adding up to the same size of diameter?  honest question i know it might sound like a smart *** question.  thanks.  The guys on marsh reef are sending me the opposite way.  they are telling me that a gate valve would work and allow for fine adjustment.  ahhhhhh.  ya'lls idea sounds safer but theres sound easier.

Comment

You could do one 2", I just don't know where you would find one or find the tubing to plumb it.  You could hard plumb it but that's trouble waiting to happen.  I have seen 1.5" but not 2" bulkheads, not that I have really looked that hard.  Most all of the overflow designs that I have seen use (2) 1" bulkheads that's why I recommended it.  Definitely use the gate valve vs. the ball valve.  I tried a ball valve and it's so tedious to get is set, I gave up on it.

Comment

2x 1" bulkheads would be much easier to deal with.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

1- 2" Bulkhead would make a lot of noise.

2 - 1" Bulkheads would not be as loud because of less airspace.  Someone once told me that each 1" bulkhead will be capable of 800 gph, but I am not sure.  Might be 600gph.

If you want to regulate your pump outlet flow, and not put a speed control to the motor, you will need to add (2) Valves to your discharge line.  (1) Will need to go back into the sump and a backflow valve, and the other needs to be a GLOBE valve to be used as a throttleing valve to control flow out.  GATE VALVES will work, but GLOBES would be better.

The problem with slowing down the motor, it can cause it to overheat if the motor is not rated for speed control.
                        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Ultimately your wasting a lot of energy for a pump that is oversized though.

I am not sure what size of tank your putting this on, but with a wetdry you only need about 4-5X turnover rate.

At 1400 GPH that is like for a 300 gallon aquarium almost.

Comment

I prefer to have the Wet/Dry do about 7-10x turnover....
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You can push all you want as long as  your getting your contact time, and your overflow and pump can handle the flow.

7-10X also works.

Comment

Working...
                              X