Suffocating Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffocating Fish

I came home on Sunday from Lake Fork and promptly jumped on a few last minute chores, after I finished mowing the yard, I started in with my 9 water changes. As I approched my final tank (my chimba tank) I noticed several fish up at the surface, apparently gasping for air, including a few larger fry as well.
    I felt the urge to panic a bit, but figured, that would not help the fish much, so, I just grabbed a sponge filter and dropped it in the tank, hooked up a pump to it and then proceded to pull the bed filter off my power head. I can't say as to why the fish where in this condition, due to nothing had changed while I was away. They never had this issue before???

After the emergency was over, I started again to go about getting the water changed, but as I dipped the vacuum into the water and started to sift over the surface, I noticed something I've never seen before. There where dozens of fish eggs and embryo's clinging to their half consumed eggs, as well as a few newly released tiny guys.

The lack of air had caused the holding females to spit their young, it was a real shame to see so many young new borns on their egg sacks not moving or barely moving. There where a few that where fighting like all get out, to show me they where not ready to get sucked up and take a long trip to the outside faucet and onto the porch/patio.  I grabbed some of the eggs, and some of those embryo's swimming with their eggs still attached and put them into a baby nursery. Today, it appears that three of them are still trying to hang on. I don't know what keeps me in this hobby where I have spent so much money and given so much energy and concern for those who may or may not appreciate it, but I did feel for those little guys who did not make it, and I really would like to see the others survive. I hate losing any fish, and it really upsets me more than I expected it too, I'm think I'm starting to get burned out.

I don't believe their chances are very good, but then if mother teresa of the GHAC where here..... :)

All of those who make it (if any) will go to Fishlady and her growing colony of F2 chimba's....

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Suffocating Fish

Do you have an egg tumbler?  If you can somehow help them bounce/rock ever so slightly, they will have a great chance of surviving.  

We used to strip our Frontosa, and a few times they were in the stage you are talking about...wigglers with egg sac attached.  We just tried to simulate the movement they have in Mama's mouth as best we could...most of them made it!

Don't burn out!  Those fish need you!  I know what you are feeling though, it's hard to be unable to save them all.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, CF. We all hate losing fish. I've had a similar experience recently.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

make note to self, put egg tumbler on to do list..... :)

I'll try to place the nursery next to the PH wash and see it that will gently move them eggs....

thanks

Steve
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I wonder what's going on...now that you mention it, we've got airstones dropped in almost every single tank right now because of gasping lately.  It's like they need that extra aeration right now.
          Our Fishhouse
          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

It was very odd, nothing had changed in this tank, yet, for some reason the fish where in deep distress. It's like the water table flipped over or something and their oxygen supply was no good???

I surely cannot explain what happened or even give it a good guess for that matter, but all seems to be well tonight, they are showing alot of energy and excitment tonight....not one sign of a lathargic fish.... :)

CF

Comment

Did the a/c stop working or did you house get hot? Power outage?

If nothing changed I would have to say that the water warmed up and o2 depleted out of the water.

One of the reasons why I believe that massive circulation/turnover rates in the tank is ideal and getting by with "just enough" doesn't cut it when it comes to my babies.

As for the egg tumbler.....tear apart your python gravel vac tube, rubberband a net to one end and shove an airstone through the other and have it slightly above the wigglers to "tumble" them.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problem :( ....here is a link to a DIY tumbler.....http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone...showtopic=3208.  Give it a try and I hope it helps. Gook luck.

Regarding Ek's three questions: "Did the a/c stop working or did you house get hot? Power outage?"

This might be the problem. I'm interested to know what's the root of this problem. However, I don't know how massive circulation/turnover rates in the tank is ideal when the power is out.  I understand that it's important when the water gets too warm. But when the power is out.....all that massive circulation/turnover rates in your tank is still not doing anything.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

sorry to hear about this.  Fish gasping at the surface is a sign of stress usually caused by Nitrite or low O2.

Sounds odd that it would happen on a established tank with good filtration right after you got back.

Most likely cause could be a powerout or a filter not flowing like it should.

I have had females spit eggs/fry anytime they get stressed out or completely relaxed.

I hope all the guys make it.

geoff
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I would say loss of power also. Check your clocks and see if any are flashing. If they are then you know the power went out, even if it was only for a few minutes. Hope your little ones make it.
                    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

The tank is a standard 135 Oceanic, with a Eheim 2217 and an Emperor 400 running on it. There is also a Tidepool 1 with a 800gph rio pump in good working order. There was a Oddessey 350 PH running a small Fluidized Bed Filter, but I took that off Sunday night and just went with the PH.

I use charcol pads in the TP as well as ammonia remover pads, and the standard blue filter media.

The temp in the house was a bit high...maybe 84, we don't run the A/C until the evening hours. Water changes are given once a week on Saturdays, about 40%.

The fish total is maybe 18 Adult Chimba's and 7 juvi, with misc of small fry and one goby from tatoo.

Not much else can I think of, that may have any bearing on the situation, my g/f tells me there where no power outages all weekend.

?????

All is well since then, the addition of the sponge filter and the removal of the FBF seems to have had a huge affect on their disposition.

CF

Comment

Eheim 2217 - 264 gph
                        Emporer 400 - 400 gph
                        Tidepool 1 - 800 gph
                        Odyseea 350 - 350 gph

= 1814 gph

135 gallon Oceanic = 13.4 Turnover rate in the aquarium

135 Oceanic can safely house 35 to 40 Adult Tropheus.

You have 18 to 25.

Absolutley no problem there.

something had to be going on waterwise...as impossible as it seems..its a mystery.

Glad to know all is well now.

Keep an eye on them the next couple feedings and make sure all are eating well.

Take care,

Geoff
                        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

sorry to hear about this, hope all is well now
                          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Nice to hear that everything is back on track! Keep us updated.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson";p="
                              . However, I don't know how massive circulation/turnover rates in the tank is ideal when the power is out.  I understand that it's important when the water gets too warm. But when the power is out.....all that massive circulation/turnover rates in your tank is still not doing anything.

The massive circulation would have kept your o2 levels high so in the event of a power outage a tank with higher o2 content would last longer then one without. Also the higher temps to start with is also a factor since it will not allow as much oxygen in the water content.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X