Rainbow Barb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Barb?

Has anyone heard of a rainbow barb? I think it was labeled Rainbow Dase Barb or Rainbow chase Barb, can't quite remember. Saw these fish at my lfs today. They are absolutely beatuiful but the owner says he knows nothing about them. This is the first time I ever saw or heard of them. Their color is kind of a iridescent color. When it moves it actually looks like a faint rainbow. I almost purchsed them but thought I would research it first. I can't find anything about them on the interne t. I would have taken a picture but I don't usually carry a camera to a fish store. :wink: I could probally go back later this week and get a picture if they still have them.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Rainbow Barb?

No Help...sorry
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

can't find anything on the internet that is helpful, saw some beautiful ones at fishgallery, maybe call them and ask them the scientific name, they looked very nice
      65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
      55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
      30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

This is actually a native fish also known as rainbow dace, redhorse minnow, and red shiner.

PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

thanks nick, thats really cool that, the pix in the link does not do them justice by any measure because the ones i saw at FG are just amazing colors, the last pic in the link shows some of the colors

live and let live

Comment

I have these in my native tank. Mzungu gave me some earlier this year. I keep mine with gold shiners (that I got from the bait department at Gander Mountain, after quarantine), and hillstream loaches. These guys like cooler waters and current. They do not do well in heated aquaria. They are schooling fish, so they do much better in groups than singly. They are not fussy eaters. Wild caught specimens will eat flake foods from day one.
            PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

that is so cool that there are such nice colorful local fish, i thought all the fish in our area were drab in color, how big do they get?

live and let live

Comment

The ones I have are around 2 inches in size.
                PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

man u can go net shiners at the river.  GREAT BAIT for catfish.  lol.  oops sorry we love all fish here.

Comment

Originally posted by mrairportjunke";p="
                    man u can go net shiners at the river.
                    Then share some with us at the next GHAC meeting 8)
                    PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

well i just might have to go trap some..  i live like 5 mins from brazos river.  we used shiners as bait for yrs.  sometimes you can get them in creaks and drainage ditches that stay full yr round like around katy rice pattys

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex";p="
                        This is actually a native fish also known as rainbow dace, redhorse minnow, and red shiner.

http://www.dan-johnson.net/fish/red_shiner.html
                        Thanks Nick, I believe that's what they are. They had them marked as Rainbow Dace Barb. I knew if I posted on here someone would know what they were. :wink:  They are beatuiful fish, when you see them in person.
                        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

They really are beautiful, especially when they're in "spawning dress." Which, for me, was ALL THE TIME. I eventually gave them to Nick because I knew he would appreciate them as much as I, and because although they were great fish, they were so "active" all the time they were bothering my other fish in the tank.    This particular group was caught in Coleto Creek, on a collecting trip with HLA.  

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

And it's true, they absolutely devoured any kind of food put in their tank from day one.  Not picky. :)
                          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                          X