Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand question

I found these plans and dimensions on plantedtank.net

Does anyone think that if I used 1''X4"" instead of 2''X4'' and had a 50 gallon aquarium instead of a 75 gallon aquarium, the stand would be effective?

Re: Stand question

If you notice the 2x6 frame at the top of the 4 ft span, you can tell that the builders were not comfortable with 2x4 sag under a 75g tank.   I have used  4x4's on the top rail of a 55g stand with no sagging.

As for using 1x4's for the compressive load at the columns, if you use lots of wood glue it might work,
    however, notice that their are no diagonal supports (wind bracing) and I would wory about the whole stand laying over.

Remember, 2x4's are cheaper than any other lumber dimensions.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i use 2x4 for the top span on 55's and 75's with no problems,make sure the boards are straight.i'd stick with 2x4 for the legs.good luck

Comment

It's better to over engineer than clean up a broken tank and gallons of water  
        215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
        180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
        58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

One stand I made that has good looking proportions and needed no diagonals; used 2X10 for horizontals and 4X4 for legs (a 75 gal).
          As far as strength ; as I remember, pine has a compression strength of 4,000 psi. So with a 4:1 safety factor you could support 1000 gal with 1 sq.in. of pine. The rest of a stand is for stability and appearence.
          My favorite sign in a lumber yard,"Friends don't let friends build anything with particle board (OSB)!"

Comment

Working...
          X