Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if this is actually a problem or not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this is actually a problem or not...

Last night I was working on my tanks when Diehl noticed that on two of them, there were some
    "bubbles" that were moving against the current, erratically around on the glass.

When I looked closer, there were burst eggs on the glass and little white dots moving around.

What are these things, and are they dangerous for the fish?  Is it just some tiny critters from decayed vegetation (some of my leaves got kinda icky - I took them out, but they were still there a bit as I waited to see if I could get the plant to heal up or give up.  

Or are they parasites and should I get medication to kill them?

Kris

Re: Not sure if this is actually a problem or not...

Originally posted by Krisvalkyrie";p="
    there were burst eggs on the glass and little white dots moving around.
    Can you explain this a little more? That leaves quite a few possibilities, just want to make sure exactly what you're talking about.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

"When I looked closer, there were burst eggs on the glass and little white dots moving around."

Yeah, I'm confused by this statement ...please say again what it is you see...

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I don't know how else to describe it.  it is as tiny, barely visible to the naked eye.  They move around on the glass.  At first I thought it was a little airbubble, but it was on the glass and moving against the current, then I saw some more of them.  They can move on the glass and can swim in the water.  All I see is a little white dot the size of a dot you would make with a sharp pencil.  I can't see how it moves, legs or otherwise, it is too tiny.  There is some film on the glass that looks kind of like a burst open something - also really tiny - we interpreted that as maybe eggs of whatever is moving on the glass - could just be algae if there is a pale white algae.  Not sure what these specks are...I would need a microscope to see them better.

Kris

Comment

If you look at them, do they have any of these three shapes?

I know those are under a microscope, but I thought of either cyclops or ostracod when you first posted. Those are pretty common. Are there fish in this tank?

No idea about the thing on the glass, though. Maybe a bunch of snail eggs?

Comment

Hmmm...maybe the top image - though I can't see the tendrils.  I might borrow a microscope from work and see if I can collect a sample and get a closer look.

Are these things bad to have in the tank?

Both tanks held red longfinned white cloud minnows in them.  I took out a female and 2 males and put them in a 5 gallon (new, but mostly filled from their own tank and with a filter from their old tank in it (used a new filter pad on the main tank)  and the 14 gallon they had been living in for the past month or so.  

Right now the 14 gallon houses my 13 or so pineapple swordtail - still fry but getting bigger - about 3/4 of an inch.  Will the little white things bother them?

Kris

Comment

Do you have a power head with an air line attached to it, making air bubbles? Might it be those air bubbles floating around?

Check out this pic:

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

At first I thought they were airbubbles from my airstone - but no, they are opaque and move against the current, and erratically.

Comment

Well, I thought my question was a bit lame, but I don't have a clue what it could be .....keep us informed....

CF

Comment

No, not at all! They're fine to have in your tank. If they're the ostracods, some say that's even an indication of very clean water.  :)

I suspect it's just that your fish aren't big enough to eat them. I get them in tanks with only plants and no fish. I was trying to look for some pictures I know I've taken of them, but I can't find any yet. Maybe I'll just take some tonight and post them.

Comment

do they look like little worms????  like tiny tiny worms?  if so your over feeding.  clean really good and cut back on food.  itll take you a few weeks to get rid of them fully.

Comment

It looks more like dots than worms.  

One of the tanks is planted, the other isn't.

Kris

Comment

maybe a couple of stray daphnia? or rotifers?
                          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

possibly - having never seen daphnia or rotifers in anything other than blown up images from a microscope, I am just not sure.  I did notice some of the little white worms in my guppy tank.  I was feeding a lot due to the presence of fry, but have since cut back now that I have a fry tank.  I hope the white worms in the 20 gallon go away - are they harmful?  They are definitely different from what is going on in the 14 and 5 gallon tanks.

Kris

Comment

What do the white worms look like? There are tons of different kinds of worms that can show up - some bad, some not.

Comment

Working...
                              X