No announcement yet.

good and bad day for me equipment wise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good and bad day for me equipment wise.

Been searching on craigslist for some equipment I needed, and found a bunch of stuff cheap.

I was really excited because someone in Magnolia was going to sell me a 60 gallon tank for 25.00  and I thought it was a good price.  

Since I was headed north anyways, I hit a yard sale in Spring and picked up 4 fish tanks...a 2 gallon glass tank, a slightly less than 2 gallon concave fish tank (like a reverse bowfront) in orange and clear plastic, a five gallon eclipse (missing the built in filter) and a 10 gallon with hood all at a good unit price.  Then for the same amount I got all of the other gear - turns out I picked up a sponge filter, a 5-15 filter, and two different styles of 20-40 gallon filter (one a whisper, the other one a type of overflow), along with three thermostats, some really big tank accessories (like a bubble waterfall - way cool but too big for my little tanks so I was planning to put it in the 60 I got) a little hut thing with a waterwheel, a pot with an airstone, multiple flower pots, artificial plants, etc.  

All in all it was an excellent haul for the day - so I headed over to Magnolia to get that 60 gallon tank that was promised to me, but the lady's husband sold it to someone else!

I was so frustrated.  She promised it to me - then they sold it elsewhere.  I am VERY glad that I had the other sale and picked up some other stuff, or it would have been a 2 hour trip for nothing instead of an extra hour on a two hour trip.  

I got home and started setting up the new tanks with old gravel and filters to get the bacteria cycle going.

Thing is - I am not sure how the sponge filter works.  Do I submerge the whole thing?  leave some of it hanging out of the water?  

Kris

Re: good and bad day for me equipment wise.

Wow that sucks....you didn't call before driving out there?

As for your sponge filter it needs to be completely submerged.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sorry to hear about about that.  I've experienced the same thing, but with a free tank.  The wife said she I could pick it up by a certain time, a matter of two hours, and almost there and called for final directions.  Husband answers and said the tank is gone and hangs up.  Now I assume he must have meant it was gone as in I'm on the way to pick it up so I call again.  Husband answers again and starts to chew me out about how it was a free tank and its because of people like me that people can't give stuff away without a hassle.... 8O

I was ready to strangle somone.  They had my number, they could have had the decency to call me at least...something.  It wasn't just down the street.

Anyways, I'm glad you didn't come home empty handed.  Another good place to look for fish stuff is at Flea Markets, but you got to watch out with some of these sellers.  Some don't know what tanks are worth and try to sell for almost "new condition" prices or more.
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

That is my general problem shopping on craigslist - many of the tanks are overpriced.  

Some of them aren't overpriced - they are in good condition and high quality - but just out of my price range.

It is frustrating, and I sympathize.  I am having the hardest time finding an affordable tank to upgrade my cichlids to when they get bigger.  My friend was going to give me a 75 that someone was giving him for free.  Turns out the person broke in while trying to deliver it to my friend.  Then I drive all the way to Magnolia from Southwest Houston, and they already sold it after she knew I was committed to driving that distance.  

I lost the number, and they took the posting down from CL.  I expected that because she said that she was taking off the market now that I was committed to getting it.  I think in a situation like that - to be less confusing all around, one person in a household should handle it, so it isn't promised to multiple people.  Would save the seller, the purchaser, and the unlucky slower would be purchaser from headaches :)

Or maybe when I buy things off of CL I should ask them to put a post-it note on there that says : Sold to crazy red head with a temper.  Do not sell to someone before she gets here.

Then again...that might not be the best tactic either.... :?

Comment

What to do with all these filters?

I find myself unsure what to do with all of the filters I have.

I have a magnum 350 someone gave me that I am saving for when I have a big tank (should any sale agreement ever go through)

I have a H.O.T. Magnum on my 30 gallon hex that no matter what I do turns the tank into a cyclone (ok, with a spray bar its not that bad - but without it the poor fish couldn't fight the current)

I have a whisper i40 for a 20-40 gallon tank

I have another 20-40 that takes the blue filters

I have the filters that came with my 14 gallon and 20 gallon tanks

I have a 5-15 that the seller was using on the 5 gallon eclipse (she tossed the in-hood filter)

I have a 10 gallon tank

I have the 5 gallon eclipse minus filter.

I think I am using either the i40 or other 20-40 pump on my 30 gallon tank to have a slower current.  I want to keep the H.O.T. so I can use the micron filter from time to time to clean up tanks.  Does anyone know what the max size tank they will work on is?

Not sure whether I should keep or barter/sell the 350.  Does anyone know what size range to use a magnum 350 on?

I think I want to use the sponge filter in a breeding tank.  I was thinking about using a five gallon for breeding bettas and a 10 gallon for growing out fry (moving the sponge filter from the 5 to the 10 as needed.  Or should I do that the other way around - breed in the 10 and move them to the 5?

I am more than half tempted to just set the 10 up for some other brightly colored fish and some nice plants, but I have wanted to experiment with breeding.

Kris

Comment

I think the HOT is good for a 30-40g tank
            The magnum I would say no more then a 75g.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks.  The HOT isn't good for my 30 hex, but maybe if I eventually get a rectangular 30 or 40...

I was thinking on using the magnum for something between 50 and 75, but wasn't sure if the 350 could handle 100 or so.  

I just find that I have too many choices and too many filters and am too new at this to figure out which I should use, which I should hold onto because I will use them when I get a bigger tank, and which I am better off trading now for stuff I can use now.

Kris

Comment

Working...
              X