Florida Blue Crays - Rough Molts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Blue Crays - Rough Molts

Hey guys, I'm pretty bewildered that it seems my crays keep having trouble molting with their larger claws. Gumbo, now an amputee, lost one of hers while I was out of town (go figure) I had been dying to see her molt and she does it while I'm gone, so does Jambalaya. So far Jambalaya has been fine, however I looked at Etouffee today and he'll be ready to molt soon, I can tell by how large the space between the tail and the body is and the pink showing through. So I'm watching him and suddenly his arm tears. UGH! So he's wandering around with it dragging behind him. I put in some slate for him to hide under if maybe he hasn't been feeling secure enough. He's the only one in the tank with about 20 other small fish...white clouds, blood fin tetras, Zebras etc.
    Any idea how to prevent this from happening in the future? I put iodine in the water with him so if he decides he wants to molt it will make it easier. It has been nearly 2 months since he last molted.
    Gumbo has been eating rapidly...I'm assuming she's trying to regenerate her lost large claw sooner rather than later. She'll be going home with me tomorrow to Fort Worth for a vacation. Advice would be helpful! Insight, stories..anything really.
    I love my crays so much, I hate to see them losing limbs!
    Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Re: Florida Blue Crays - Rough Molts

Well James came home for lunch...and we watch an episode of Heroes and we go to look at Etouffee and he's already molted. Lost the arm that tore. I feel so bad! Poor little guy...it seems all my crays want to be amputees of one sort or another. Frustrating!
    Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

Don't feel too bad.  Its process that isn't without problems sometimes.
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

You do add salt to your tanks too right?  That helps also.  I usu add about a tablespoon per 5 gallons.  Regular aquarium or pond salt, not table salt or any other kind.
        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
        X