Green Marine Algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Marine Algae

I picked up some Green Marine Algae the other day at a LFS and wrapped some around some rocks and dropped them in the troph tanks.  After about 15 minutes of them freaking out about the new weird object in the tank, they went after it like rabid dogs!!  

Is there any reason I shouldn't be feeding this to them?  They love it!
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Re: Green Marine Algae

I've been growing algae on some smaller texas holey rock pieces in a 10 gallon under some T12 bulbs, then just swap the rocks out and within 5 minutes it's wiped clean. They eat algae all the time in the wild, it's good to be able to put it back into their system. I've even fed them romaine lettuce leaves a few times.

Comment

I thought about trying to grow the algae, but figured this was easier.  Mine won't touch romaine lettuce....
      Our Fishhouse

Comment

Go to the Asian market and get a package or Nori....I use that once and a while and it's dried seaweed....much cheaper then getting it from the LFS cause I think I paid like $3 and there is like a buttload of it.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Great!  Good to know....

I thought this stuff smelled like the seaweed at sushi restaurants!    I wonder how close it actually is...
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

I have seen places repackage Nori into smaller qty and sell for more.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The only problems I ever faced with feeding Seaweed or Romaine is that it makes the tank dirty.

I always got to skim the top for floaties, but man it was worth it.  To see all your Trophs tear into Romaine or the Seaweed and basically fight over it.

It will not hurt them as long as you clean it as if you were going to eat it, and dont mind having to clean the mess.

Otherwise the fish love it..Just like all other foods when trying a new thing take it easy at first before you start feeding it to them daily or every other day.
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

You wouldn't have to skim the top if you have an overflow box skimming for you  :wink:
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I know a few folks that feed it to their trophs', I have introduced it to mine, the Dubs like it, but the chimba's don't. The bemba's wont touch it, and the Ulwiles pick at it but don't love it ...yet...?

Overall, I use it as a supliment to spirulina and NLS.

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                  X