New Arrival - Guppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Arrival - Guppies

I just bought a group of guppies about a month ago and as I was feeding this afternoon, I noticed that Mrs. Guppy had delivered about 10-15 baby guppies. Mr Guppy is still in the tank. Should I try to remove him or just leave the Guppy Family alone and let them be? First time I assisted with the raising of any fish and am really excited. I am a grandpa! Ok, I might be getting carried away but someone please help me with the answers!
    You will never know the true feeling of being loved until you feel it from your child.

Re: New Arrival - Guppies

You should remove both parents. The female is more likely to eat the young than the male. Now you need some food. I use hikari baby food for the first few day, then go to decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs and then to regular flakes and blood worms.

Comment

Originally posted by edkrueger";p="
      You should remove both parents. The female is more likely to eat the young than the male. Now you need some food. I use hikari baby food for the first few day, then go to decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs and then to regular flakes and blood worms.
      Ok... I will do that! As for as the food... I am on my way to the pet store right now! Thanks for the info!
      You will never know the true feeling of being loved until you feel it from your child.

Comment

I prefer to give my livebearers a tank to themselves with a sponge filter and lots of java moss in the bottom for the fry to hide in.
        And I feed GOLDEN PEARLS
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Congrats!

Mrs. Guppy will probably have kids every month or so now. If it ever gets too crowded in there, you can always add some live plants / something for the fry to hide in, like PP said. That way you'll probably get less survivors, but it won't be as crowded.

Also, I've fed baby guppies finely crushed flake food. The parents are fine eating that, as well.  :)

Good luck!
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Day number 4 and all is doing well! I have not lost one yet!!! How old do they need to be before I give them to a new home?

Comment

Do you mean give them to other people? Or move them to another tank of yours?

I'm pretty sure you can keep them for as long or as little as you like. After all, at each auction I've been to, there's usually at least one group of livebearers for sale who have given birth while at the auction.  :)

Comment

Well, if I am going to be expecting Mrs. Guppy to bear more each month, I am thinking about giving them away!

Comment

if you do give them away, please keep me in mind! I would love to get some guppies... :)

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixbetta";p="
                    if you do give them away, please keep me in mind! I would love to get some guppies... :)
                    How many are you looking for?

Comment

however many your willing to give up....Ive been looking at getting some guppies...

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixbetta";p="
                        however many your willing to give up....Ive been looking at getting some guppies...
                        I will make sure that you get a least 5. I wonder how old they have to be before you want to send them on their way? These are the ones with blackish tails!

Comment

They can be a couple of days old and be perfectly fine, as long as the person getting them takes care not to have them eaten!

Do you happen to have a picture of the parents, or of the babies?

Comment

Yeah, Im so excited! thanks a bunch! Dont worry they will be taken care of, right now all I have are bettas (9). They are in there spawning tanks, Im hoping to get some fry from them. I lost my first batch, in the meantime I was hoping to get some guppies and then hopefully they can spawn too.  

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                              I prefer to give my livebearers a tank to themselves with a sponge filter and lots of java moss in the bottom for the fry to hide in.
                              And I feed GOLDEN PEARLS
                              Cool. What sizes for what fish? Are the good for egg layers? I'd think so.

Comment

Working...
                              X