Snake ID ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake ID ?

No pond is complete without an occasional snake. I can't identify the last visitor (yesterday).
    I can't find it in my Field Guide of (110) TX Snakes.
    He was on the rocks at the pond edge. About 3' long . 1.5' was in plain view ,the rest disappeared into a potted acoris. After a minute I realized his black head and eye were in the acoris , watching me watch him. I had a good view for a few minutes, then he disappeared.
    It was easy to not find him in the Guide; no snake was remotely his color ; Black with about 6 sky blue longitudinal stripes. A thin body like a coachwhip or racer.
    Any ideas ?

Re: Snake ID ?

There is a Racer that looks as your discribe.   They do eat frogs, lizards, sm birds, eggs, even other snakes.     They are very benefical BUT do they eat fish ?????     Don't know.   Last one I saw I caught which was not easy and took it else where.    They are very fast, good climbers and nonpoisonous.    

Will say most snakes in the wild in MY yard are all treated as cobras and become 3-parts as I don't care to donate my animals as food to them.   This was the exception and I would again try o relocate it as first measure.

Will FYI tomorrow to get the name so you can look it up for yourself.   Wish I could of been more helpful.  V
    "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
    "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
    -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

Re: Snake ID ?

yes sounds like a racer to me as well, i agree with the relocate idea if u can.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
      X