BN Pleco Albino Gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BN Pleco Albino Gene

Is the gene recessive? I don't really like the albino color, but would like to add to my stock with the intention of breeding.

Re: BN Pleco Albino Gene

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine it is recessive, given that there aren't many albino anythings in the world.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

There's a lot of little albino cory's and plecos and other fishies in my little world.  However, you'd have to take the short bus to get to my little world....
      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

My Albino BN are breeding true.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

That doesn't mean that they are dominant or recessive. It just means that at least one of you specimens are homozygous.

A for albino, B for brown.

Assuming that albino is recessive then both individuals must be homozygous [aa].

Assuming that albino is dominant then both individuals must be homozygous [AA] or one must be [AA and Ab]

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
            I don't know for sure, but I would imagine it is recessive, given that there aren't many albino anythings in the world.
            That is what I figured, but was just checking. There are some wild caught albino plecos and corydoras.

Comment

Originally posted by edkrueger";p="
              There are some wild caught albino plecos and corydoras.
              Really? I didn't know that. I would have thought that since albinos were so conspicuous they wouldn't last long in the wild.

Comment

You can pretty much figure that the traits shown in the wild are the dominant traits.
                Anything different from the majority of wild traits is going to be recessive.
                Of course to know for sure, you have to breed one with to one without.
                The long fin brown BN I bought a few auctions ago was said to be albino recessive but I have not tried to breed him yet.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Brown/Brown x Albino/Albino  = Brown/Albino Showing only Brown colour. I have a pair like this that produces 100% brown babies, i havent had them long enough to rebreed the babies.

Albino/Albino x Albino/Albino = Albino/Albino = Albino colour. I have several pairs like this that breed 100% Albino.

You see people advertising a pair of plecos that breed 98% albino and 2% brown.(figures are something like that anyway)
                  I dont understand how that would work.

Youd think it would be

Brown/Albino x Albino/Albino = 1/2 Brown/Albino showing Brown, 1/2 Albino/Albino
                  Brown/Albino x Brown/Albino = 1/4 Brown/Brown showing brown, 1/2 Albino/Brown showing Brown, and 1/4 Albino/Albino showing Albino.

Dont have a clue how the Longfin Genes work either, Ive heard they dont breed true ever. Theres always non-longfins in the batch.

Comment

There are a few things that take 2 or more recessive genes to show up
                    then instead of getting a 2 x 2 pundit square you get a 4 x 4 square  with only 1 of 16 chances.
                    to get a white betta it takes a combination of 7 genes (7 x7 square)

c --> Cambodian (recessive)
                    Si --> Spread Irridescence (Dominant)
                    Op --> Opaque (Dominant)
                    Bl --> Steel Blue (Semi-Dominant)
                    nr --> Non-Red (recessive)
                    b --> Blond (recessive)
                    L --> Red-Loss (Dominant)
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Wow.  8O

I'm interested in finding out how the albino trait is passed on.

Comment

I know with Leopard geckos and corn snakes (and probably other reptiles as well)  there are seperate albino genes for different colors, so you can get some that are partially albino and get some interesting combinations.

Comment

Working...
                        X