T5's - I am doing it! Comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5's - I am doing it! Comments?

Alright, finally after all my research I am going to buy a T5 retrofit setup for my 150g. I am done with the CF lights, trying to get anything but low light plants to grow.

Here is what I am getting: 2 sets of 36" 6 tube. Each set will be 4 x 6700k and 2 actinic (to correct overall color for human viewing). Each tube is 39w, so I get 468w of T5 high intensity, high efficiency light. That should beat my 384w of CF I have now, right? ALso, each tube has its own parabolic polished aluminum reflector.

Now I know my tank is deep (its 72 x 18, and 30 deep), so light intensity at the bottom will be low, but I don't want to go crazy; this is a community with a lot of plants rather than a planted tank per se. Also I don't want to have so much light that I need to add CO2.

My objective was that this all has to fit under the existing wood cover (or my wife will cut off my tea bags with blunt nail scissors (her words)). Also in the interests of not paying to heat the whole house and then pay again top cool it all off with a/c, I wanted all of my wattage to go to light, not heat.

So? Whadja think? Cost? A little under $600 including tubes and delivery...
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: T5's - I am doing it! Comments?

Wow, sounds perfect!! Especially that each tube has its own reflector.

I don't know about the cost, I haven't the means to spend $600, and so I tend to stay away from big numbers.  :)  But, if you're getting good quality lamps, and good quality fixtures (as it sounds), and shipping, it sounds great!

You must show us pictures when it arrives!!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't get the means that often, but I just got my bonus which should about cover this!

I will do pictures before and after. Its about time I started showing what my tank(s) look like. Trouble is there are so many nice ones here that it tend to make one a bit shy!
      Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

hmm, just fyi, actinic bulb does not grow plants and sometime gives your plant a weird looking non-natural color...
        as for 468watts, does that include the actinic or not? if not, thats gives you over 3wpg, and without co2, you will have algae problem in the long run, imo if your intend is not to have a heavly planted tank, go with less watts, saves you money too...

Comment

I have actinics in another tank.

so there will be 8 6700k for plant growth, which is 312 w, or hust over 2w per gallon, and 4 actinics. The actinics are there purely in an attempt to corrcet the light for human eyes. Plant bulbs alone look off color. This is primarily a fish community tank. Its running at about 85% of it bio load. I am hoping this will provide a lot of CO2 and nutrients. If it does not I can add c02 later. I have about 10 amano shrimp, and 8 otos in there, and  prolly 15 nerites. I have to supplement their diet now. A bit of algae would be good!
          Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

I have a 180 with T5 lights. It is enought light to reach the bottom of the tank.
            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

How deep is your 180? I guess some of my current CF light gets to the bottom...I have a couple of different Anubias and Crypts growing now....I am goig to try some pics of the "before" tonight....
              Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

ah i see, t5 lights can pent. into deeper water then cf bulbs..     here read this.. more about colors and such

and as for co2, u can try some seachem flourish excel, but you should be okay without it with the plants your growing now...

Comment

Its 24" deep
                  Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                  Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Sounds like a good setup. I hope you have a fan. It's gonna get hot under the hood with the T5 HO.

The actinics are kinda interesting though. I've never seen a FW tank with actinics. I'm interested to see how it looks. They won't help the plants a whole lot though.
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

No fan! SO I have 4 96w Cf light fixtures in there now and it isn't too bad. The water temp is bout 78'F in a room that is usually between 72 and 74, and my heater never cycles on! I was hoping the T5's would run cooler than the CF units....But I can get a fan in there real quick if I need to!

I'll do some before and after pix, and maybe some of the install process. I couldn't find much in the way of "how-to" on this on the web. If I get i right I will write one up here!
                      Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Originally posted by nacra99";p="
                        Sounds like a good setup. I hope you have a fan. It's gonna get hot under the hood with the T5 HO.

The actinics are kinda interesting though. I've never seen a FW tank with actinics. I'm interested to see how it looks. They won't help the plants a whole lot though.
                        it won't help the plant at all.. not even a bit... it does 100% nothing to the plants... and it will make your plant a weird glo.. its not bad looking.. its just weird...
                        t5 gives way less heat then any other cf...

Comment

Pictures of the tank before T5's go in!

This is a view of the whole tank:

I'll post some more under a dedicated "pix of my tank" post!
                          Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Working...
                          X