My 32 bowed plant tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 32 bowed plant tank

Hello guys and gals, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to post a few pic's of my plant tank that I've had for about 2 months now. Let me know what you think. Sorry my camera is a piece of junk. Not sure what kind of plants I have, I was at the local Petco and the guys was throwing them away. So I offered him $5 and he gave me all the plants. The plants have almost tripled in size since I got them.

8 Neon Tetra's
    2 Glolite Tetra's
    5 Bueons Aires Tetra's
    5 O Catfish
    1 Clownloach
    1 Striped Ralph Catfish

Lighting 65 watt coralife 10K. It was a 130 watt 50/50 that i had on my nano reef but my son knocked into the tank and only one ballast works on it

Filter is just a Tetra 30 hangon filter
    Aqua powerhead

I will be adding more gravel soon and a C02 system.

Re: My 32 bowed plant tank

nice looking tank!

looks like there are some swords, the tank is not bowfront, possibly a flat back hex?,

Tell us more bout your reef tank!
    Michael
    Clear Lake, TX

Comment

Not sure either, it's a 10 year old tank that I bought at a garage sale. Didn't know what to call it. LOL

Comment

Its probably a 37 gallon flatback hex.

Comment

do you plan to eventually plant those plants into some kind of substrate?...it would have to be something other than the rocks you have in there....but i think if you would do that you would really be happy with the results...i like your tank...
          oh and welcome to the box....

Comment

Very Nice Dneffy, good luck with all your future aspirations.

CF

& Welcome to the HFB
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by fishlady";p="
              do you plan to eventually plant those plants into some kind of substrate?...it would have to be something other than the rocks you have in there....but i think if you would do that you would really be happy with the results...i like your tank...
              oh and welcome to the box....

What type of substrate should I use? I'm very inexperienced when it comes to planted tanks. I've always had saltwater tanks and goldfish.

Comment

There's a few choices there when it comes to substate, but for plants, well that's EK's field of expertise, give him a pm and get his opinion.

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

ada soil.....or better yet...aquasoil from home depot....i have grown plants for a long time in that and it didn't get all mucky either.....
                  armthehomeless uses ordinary potting soil that has no additives under a small gravel substrate i believe...and his planted is gorgeous.....he uses no co2 and has low lighting as well......
                  ek's system is more complex i believe...he has co2 and lights that give it brightness on a timer even.....so i guess it really depends on if your adding co2 then you'll need better lights....and some ada or aquasoil....i had my co2 set up with the aquasoil...it's alot cheaper than ada.....
                  you make that call.....

Comment

actually these plants could probably live in the gravel, correct me if im wrong?  at petsmart they grow fine living in the gravel.  But for best results, you would prob want soil though
                    Michael
                    Clear Lake, TX

Comment

yes....they could live in the gravel....but with soil they will grow better....and the nutrients will be better for them as well....

Comment

I heard they use gravel at the stores because the roots come out easier from gravel.

CF

Comment

your right about that...they do come out easier than with soil substrate...

Comment

I think they use what is cheapest and only expect to have the plants stay alive long enough for someone to buy them.......same concept Fish Gallery was using and probably still is.

The swords are heavy root feeders and will look it's best with nutrient rich substrate whether it be ADA aquasoil(which I like and use) or kitty litter/potting soil which Armthehomeless uses and works great if you ask me....Either way works but then again there are several ways you can keep a planted tank. The many choices/ways/opinions/etc. is what makes this hobby so great!

Decide on how much time you want to invest into the tank and what your end goal is....that really helps so that we here can better assist you into the [s:01c2334352]money pit[/s:01c2334352] tank.

Also if you haven't already....dig through the various threads here in the planted section...there is lots of good info and you might even find what you are looking for already discussed to death in one of them.

With the gravel.....plant roots are able to penetrate to soft materials.....gravel is not gonna be one of them but soil/driftwood/etc is. The healthier the rooting the healthier the plant.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I like the tank! And welcome to HFB, by the way!  
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X