Is there a safe way to use more watts w/flourescent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a safe way to use more watts w/flourescent

I have a 4' fixture on my 55. The bulb says "Aquarium Bulb", 32 watts. The problem is that it's so weak the the electric blue in my fish's tails doesn't show up.
    Can I use a regular "office" type bulb, or get one with more watts safely to use in the fixture?
    I can't believe the color difference when I shined my flashlight on them, it was like a blue light came on in their tail fins.
    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Re: Is there a safe way to use more watts w/flourescent

Normally 4' bulbs are 40 watts, take a look at the ballast or labels that are on the fixtures to see if it has the max rating. They sell VHO ballast that are higher wattage.
    150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    115G Tanganyikan

Comment

The ballast is what controls that.....

Higher watt bulb on lower ballast = fire or burnt out ballast

Higher watt ballast on lower watt bulb = shorter bulb life.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmmm...can't see the ballast, it's covered. I guess I could try a 40 watt and see if it starts smokin'.

Is the 8 extra watts gonna be that much brighter, or is the type of bulb more important for more bright light?
        I guess I could replace the ballast, but is a higher watt bulb gonna be brighter, or could I get a 32 watt bulb that gives a brighter output?

Comment

The output is a bit relative...it depends on the spectral quality of the lamps, really. Our eyes can only see so much. If you get a bulb with lots of red in the spectrum, it won't look as bright to us as, say, a bluer bulb, but it will technically be the same.

There should be a sticker on the back of the fixture stating for how many watts the ballast is rated...kinda like on a socket for incandescent light bulbs.

You might be able to tell a difference in an extra 8 watts - how old is the bulb you have in there now? Fluorescents normally start "dimming" after a year and a half or so, IME. If it's older than that, you might want to get a new bulb regardless.

What kind of bulb do you have in there right now? T12? T10? T8? You're lucky in that 4' fluorescents are usually the cheapest ones of all the lengths available, so you can try a few for not too much money, and pick your favorite. If you go with HO or VHO or something like that, you'll most likely want to get a ballast that can handle the higher output. Some people "overdrive" their lamps, but I have absolutely no understanding of that whatsoever. (Not because it's not a good idea, but because I am really dense when it comes to electronics and such.  :)  )
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Twilight Zone episode: the "Appearing Sticker"!
            Somehow I turned and twisted the fixture looking for info, and somehow completely missed the white sticker on the back...the one that says Oceanic 120 volt 40 watt fixture.
            I got the fixture from a member a while back, so I don't know how old it is; the bulb has the letters "HG" in a circle next to the words "32 watt Aquarium light". All of which tells me I can replace the bulb with a 40 watt and hopefully get the brightness I want.
            Right now, the tailfins have a sorta light whiteish cloudiness to them; when I shine my flashlight on them it becomes a bright electric blue color; really pretty color and obviously a very weak light output.
            Sigh...

Comment

32w should be T8 and 34/40w should be T12, but i'm not sure in aquarium lighting. If you decide to make your own lighting fixture, hit me up and i'll tell you a place where you can go check out ballasts and some things you need.

Comment

Working...
              X