Plecos and tank algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plecos and tank algae

I am not sure why I never have any algae problems, but I would like to ascribe the lack of growth to all the hard working Plecos in my tanks, and the Apple snails I have.
    I started a 42 gallon a while back, and algae immediately covered the glass sides, so I put my large Brown Common in there with the small Brown Common resident Pleco. In 2 days there was no visible algae.
    I am running low power standard florescent lights 8-10 hours a day, although I have one grow light on a 55.
    I put algae wafers in daily to feed the Plecos, although the Sailfins cover them 'til the Plecos knock them off. I am concerned that I don't have enough algae to feed the Plecos.
    Do Plecos eat hair algae? I haven't seen anyone reccommend that as a solution to a hair algae problem.
    Since I have plastic plants and floating hornwort in all my tanks with a little moss in a few, I am sure I will someday get an algae problem. Just the law of averages...all my tanks are crystal clear, I do 25% water changes weekly on all tanks except my 10 gal fry tanks, and even my occasional cloudy water problems go away. It seems too easy, so I am curious if the lack of algae problems is due to the 3 Plecos average per tank I have, along with the Apple snails? Or am I living in a fool's Paradise?
    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Re: Plecos and tank algae

I think it's safe to say that the plecos and apple snails go a long way towards keeping your algae in check.

Comment

Do Plecos eat the "hair algae"?
      Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Originally posted by Philbert";p="
        Do Plecos eat the "hair algae"?
        Nope. But apple snails do, at least mine do.

Comment

Working...
        X