Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp Fever

I've got it bad!

Had so much fun with my 20g CRS tank, I decided to make a mixed species out of my empty 10g. I had a bamboo shrimp that I kept relocating because it seemed so nervous in my other tanks even though it wasn't around anything that could really hurt it. Saw a wood shrimp at Fish Gallery and had to pick one up. It was just so mesmerizing with it's fans while it fed--wafting debris towards it's mouth... almost like it was doing some kind of burlesque fan dance. Than topped it off with three big amanos to keep things tidy. The dead leaves are for them (I also like the rustic look it adds). The wood and bamboo are filter feeders so they'll jockey for position to find the sweet spot in the current to grab food particles. I've been feeding them pond water and the wood shrimp approves by whipping out its fans.

Re: Shrimp Fever

Cool!! I know what you mean about watching their little fans, it's pretty mesmerizing.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

They are addictive!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I love the A. Gabonensis  - I have some of those too. They get BIG too!
        Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Shrimp Fever > Crabs!

Comment

Okay, I've noticed a difference in technique with the bamboo and wood shrimp when it comes to feeding. Both seem similarly equipped with the four fans, but while the wood shrimp will continually waft food into it's face, the bamboo shrimp will sit there patiently with its fans outstretched until it catches something, then bring something into its mouth. Think little kid eating a handful of M&M's. I might have to cancel my satellite just so I can watch my shrimp all day.

Comment

I thought bamboo and wood shrimp were the same thing! What's the difference?

Rebekah

Comment

The labels on the tanks! I'm calling the brown one the bamboo shrimp (singapore wood) and the blue one the wood shrimp. I think I've heard them called fan, filter and flower shrimps as well. I believe the stripe going down the middle is unique to what people call bamboo shrimp but not 100% sure...

Comment

Ahhh... makes sense! LOL! I don't know much about shrimp at all except that they have to have REALLY great water!

Rebekah

Comment

I'm kind of new too, but I'm getting hooked hard! If somebody told me last year that I'd be spending tons of money on shrimp I'd be asking, "with what kind of batter?!"

Comment

Check out planetinverts.com
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They got a lot of good articles there. They were one of my resources before I started a shrimp tank.

Comment

The blue one is Atya gabonensis, or Vampyre Shrimp. It is the biggest fan shrimp as far as I know. Wood shrimp and bamboo shrimp are the same thing (Atyopsis moluccensis) as far as I knew...Of course there is a lot of confusion over naming these animals...
                          Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Ahhhh... I heard the term vampire shrimp used before but didn't know if it was just a colloquial term or not. The sales person told me it was a wood shrimp so I guess I started out kind of confused. I thought bamboo and wood shrimp were the same as well until I saw the blue guy at Fish Gallery labeled "wood shrimp". Vampire shrimp sounds way cooler anyway.

Good info! Thanks for the help Russ!

Comment

hey...if you paid woodshrimp price for a vampyre shrimp you did good!!!
                              Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Working...
                              X