Filter failed, fish survived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter failed, fish survived

I had an Aquaclear filter on my 60 gallon tank and yesterday when I went to feed my oscar I noticed the water surface looked like it had a film covering it.  I was in a hurry so I just dismissed it.  This was sometime in the late morning.  Then last night I noticed a catfish I totally forgot was in there was swimming near the top of the tank.  I thought it was weird that I hadn't realized this guy was in there.  About an hour later I realized he was still doing this as was my oscar.  I looked at the tank and noticed my filter wasn't running.  I checked to see if it was plugged in and it was.  I took the filter apart, rinsed all the parts, made sure the impeller wasn't clogged, etc.  I put it back together and tried to see if it would work.  It wouldn't.  So I had to run to Petsmart and I ended up getting a larger filter (rated for 100 gallons).  As soon as it was running the oscar began to act like it felt better.  This morning all is well.  I have no clue why the filter quit working but I'm going to let it sit for a few days and then try to see if it'll work.  I didn't notice anything causing a clog but the lights did  flicker either yesterday or the day before so maybe it messed the suction up causing the filter to run dry.  I was worried that I'd lose my fish since the filter most likely was out 12+ hours.  I used all the old media in the new filter and I'm hoping I won't have a mini-cycle.  I guess I'll be paying closer attention to my filters from here on out.
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: Filter failed, fish survived

Wow!! Close call!!

Glad nothing bad happened

Comment

yead, be careful bcause Fishes cannot talk.
      100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
      30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

That's a relief! Glad they're both okay.  :)

I had that happen to an Aquaclear I had, as well. One day it just quit - no warning, no explanation that I could find. I did the same thing - bought a new filter, let that one sit for a couple days, tried again, but it was still dead. Weird.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Might want to contact the company and see if they know of any issues. The motor might have burnt out. Glad everything is ok though
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Ah, I ended up buying another Aquaclear, that's not what I wanted to hear!  It got me to thinking, how long do filters generally last?  I bought that Aquaclear in February 2007-not even a year ago.  I have a Fluval canister filter that I bought probably 6 or so years ago and it is still running strong.  I hate it (pain in the @$$ to prime) but as long as it's working I'm not replacing it.  I have a separate filter on that tank so at least if it does go out the fish will survive until I can get another one.
            58G Malawis
            10G planted

Comment

I don't think my (and your) experience is too common. I have really never heard anything BUT good things about Aquaclear filters...we're just lucky, I guess!  :wink:

Hmm, well, I think I have a HOB filter that's about 5 or 6 years old...I'm not sure what the life span is supposed to be on HOB filters, but it's probably (I'm guessing here) less than canisters. However, I know that for the whole time I've been in the hobby, that's the only one I've really had trouble with. And really, the only time I've bought new filters is to go along with new tanks.  :)
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well that makes me feel better!  I am in love with the Aquaclears and am glad to hear that.  

I've had to replace HOB filters, mostly those 10G Whisper-type ones that come with the kits.  They last long enough to get my money's worth.
                58G Malawis
                10G planted

Comment

I had a aquaclear filter stop on me a couple days ago too, not sure why. I will never stop using aquaclear. They are one of my favorites. That short power outage probably did it.

Comment

Maybe it's a Fishbox thing.  
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

Working...
                    X