My first lake Malawi cichlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first lake Malawi cichlids

Hi guys i finally got some malawi cichlids, there were three of these guys in a mixed tank at work and i coudlnt pass them up they looked so cool. their name is apparently labidochrois textilis (was told exasperatus but thats old name) anyway they used to be real common way back when but i have never seen them. they are in the 75 and doin great so far. well tried to load a pic but it wont let so i am gonna put link to site for it.

Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Re: My first lake Malawi cichlids

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but your fish are probably Melanochromis joanjohnsonae. The juvies are almost identical to textilis. From what I've heard textilis are pretty uncommon, and I've seen joanjohnsonaes at Petsmart before. So it's probably what you have, but if you do have the textilis then you got a sweet score.
    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Did a little research and Labidochromis exasperatus is also used sometimes, and Melanochromis exasperatus was the name used before it was changed to joanjohnsonae.

Comment

It's a beautiful fish regardless of what it's name is.  I've been thinking about getting back into African Cichlids, specifically the Malawi.  I'd have to sell some fish though.  
        Are you planning on keeping just those or are you going to add some different species as well?  Yours have such a nice coloration it would work either way.
        58G Malawis
        10G planted

Comment

i had them identified by Don at fishgallery, and they look exactly like the textilis, Don said they were labidochromis exaperatus, or however if i mispelled it. and they look as juvies right now "Exactly" like the pic of the juvie textilis, i just didtn find a listing for exaperatus but the textilis said that was another name for that fish.and the fave is much sharper then the one you posted a pic of, i guess i will have to wait for them to get bigger and see. am doing more research on other species you posted and seeing if i cna find pics of juvies.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President

Comment

from what one website said there isnt such a thing as textilis, here i will post a link. but i will say that there are a lot of different photos or supposedly both types of sepcies and they look very different.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President

Comment

well there seems to be a lot of conflict on the internet so i am just going to grow them up and see. but from most of the pictures they look more like Textilis, everything i could find doesnt talk about labidochromis exaperatus being used at all. and melachromis joan  whatever doesnt even have same shape of face so i dont  think its that one, again i will have to wait.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President

Comment

I hope I was wrong, but keep us posted on how they turn out.

And, is it pets mart or pet smart?

Comment

They are still nice looking fish.
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

hey taipan....cichlidfan bought some of those at the petsmart by us over here and one was holding and gave us 5 babies....they are very shy little cichlids too....i think they are darling to say the least.....keep us informed of how it goes...i'll try to catch the little one and get a pic of it on here sometime soon....but your right they are the little fish in your original link.....exactly like them....

fishlady....

Comment

Hey Tiapan.....Someone posted some pictures of their tank over on Tropheusfanatics and in the fourth picture down on the tank floor there is a fish that looks like what you are describing you have.

I have asked him to chime in on what it is exactly so maybe this might be a good jump on to what it is........gotta become a member I believe to view the forum.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I picked up a pair of exasperatus 2"ers,  also known as joanjohnsonae, from John at Houston Aquatics. He has a tank of them mixed in with acei and the price was right.

Here is a link with pics that might help http://malawicichlids.com/mw09003.htm

Comment

Looked again and the ones in the link I provided are joanjohnsonae
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well an update, the fish are doing well, gettin close to 2 inches now, looks like some color change in them. i fear trusting anything on internet now. i have heard soooo many conflicting views about this fish or possible type that it is. i found lots of sites that said the fish i had was textilis, and several that say the other. but most of the Joan what ever they are look almost all blue, and when i told someone else the exaperatus is now this other type they said that was bull, and that it is a separate subspecies. of course there is constant debate whether certain color variants are different fish or now and so on and so forth. almost all that had joanjoanee or whatever showed solid colors and textilis had all the stripes from the websites i saw. so i am waiting for them to color all the way, if they lose the stripes im gonna say the joan, if they keep them and look different im gonna call them textilis, since they decide exaperatus didnt work to call the fish that anymore.  whatever happens they are still doing well in my 75, and i have 2 cyps holding right now, 1 looks like she is ready to spit. so im super excited.
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President

Comment

well I have an update for you guys and gals. The fish are starting to take on their adult colors, and they are keeping their stripes and patterns so far, they are about 3 inches and doing great in the tank. looks like i have 1 male and 2 females, they are very docile with everything else. I am hoping to have them breeding soon. But by the color change i am gonna put them as Textillis since they really DONT look much like over 95 percent of the Melanachromis Joan pictures i have found (and i have looked up dozens of sites) soooo looks like i have textillis (and keepin my fingers crossed they will be breeding soon. )
                              Never fear I is here
                              David Abeles
                              Vice President

Comment

Working...
                              X