Common Brown Pleco joins the other fish at feeding time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Brown Pleco joins the other fish at feeding time

I have a peculiar Pleco, or so it seems.
    Is it normal for a common Brown Pleco to hang out at the surface at feeding time, and cruise along upside down and chow down with the frantically feeding fish totally calm and happy?
    This one young common Brown Pleco loves to eat flake food and freeze dried shrimp at the surface, and yet gets busy with the other non surface feeding common Pleco the rest of the time, doing algae duty on the tank sides and on the plastic plant surfaces.
    Is that weird behavior? Do I need to bring in a Fish Whisperer, or is this not unusual for a bottom feeding algae eater?
    I love to watch it cruising happily along the surface munching out on the flakes. Just wondering...
    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Re: Common Brown Pleco joins the other fish at feeding time

Don't worry. My old common pleco did the same with the flake. They think the flake is more tasty than brown algae LOL.
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

I do too...although I prefer my flake with milk. :)
      Brown algae ranks up there with jail food...not that I would know. Ahem...
      At least I won't have to look up a Fish Whisperer now...
      Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

I once took care of a full grown Rhino Pleco that did the exact same thing. It was so cute! Consider yourself lucky. My two commons are still pretty scared of me.  :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Sometimes the misconception of all plecos eating only algae throws off the owners.....if you look into it most plecos are omnivores or even majority meat eater.  

I don't think with most of them eating algae is by choice.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

when I feed the bloodworms, one of my plecos is up to the top before any of the cichlid fry.  I also have a "juli" and the pleco in that tank is also to the top first.
            5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
            20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
            29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
            29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
            29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
            55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
            75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
            / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

how cool.....that's so awsome ......isn't it so much fun to find out the personalities of each fishy....

cichlidfan's green terror that lives in our 150 lets me pet him when i feed him blood worms.....i think he likes it....
              and then again i do allow him to bite me now and then too..... :wink:

Comment

i read that and it didn't look right...

i was referring to the "green terror"....hehehehehehehe

Comment

Now I see why they made you secretary.... :)

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

LOL! I see plecos gnawing on dead fish at LFSs... I guess that's why it doesn't surprise me that yours is eating flakes.  :wink: That would be very cute to see in person, though!

Rebekah

Comment

i used to have a pair that did the same thing. the one i have now will eat flakes off the bottom as they fall and he is out there looking for food during feeding time just like every else. he also ieats beef heart and live night crawlers.

Comment

Working...
                      X