Guppy/Platy nipping/cleaning???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guppy/Platy nipping/cleaning???

I've noticed some weird behavior between my guppies and platies. At first, it was a male guppy picking at one of my male platies. The guppy would nip at the side of the platy. But the platy let him do it, like he would turn his side up to the guppy. I also noticed behavior between a female guppy and the same male platy.

There's no evidence of damage to either fish, but it actually looks like the guppy is nipping. Maybe it's just tapping?

What's going on with them?

Re: Guppy/Platy nipping/cleaning???

Dunno. Are you sure your male platy is a male? How old is the platy? Guppies can be kind of 'annoying' sometimes, I wouldn't necessarily call them picky, but if I were a fish, I would be annoyed by some males that I've had - they constantly try to mate...with other species, other males, doesn't seem to matter. But the platy's behavior sounds pretty submissive...I'd guess either he's a she, or doesn't feel comfortable enough in the group, or isn't feeling well.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

He's definitely a male. And last night, I saw one of my other males go up to the platy/guppy pair and turn his side and let the guppy kinda nip at him.

College Station water is ridiculously soft and has a high pH. Could this have an effect on their health? They all look well and act well, so it's hard for me to say if they're sick.

Also, I don't know how old the platies are, but they're definitely way older than the male guppy they go up to who is about 2-3 months old.

Comment

I would really get my nose up against the glass and look for external parasites.

max

Comment

Looked...and there's nothing. There are loaches in the tank, so I'm assuming if it was Ick or some other external parasite, they would show signs of it first, right?

Comment

Not sure if they'd show signs first, but they'd probably eventually get it if there was something in the tank.

Could you list exactly what you have in that tank, and the numbers of each?

Comment

It's a 16 gal tank with:

4 white cloud minnows
              5 guppies
              12 platies
              4 loaches (1 zebra and 3 Angelicus)
              a BBN

Comment

Well, if they don't seem to be too bothered with it, I wouldn't worry. I was thinking it might have to do with numbers of platies vs. guppies, but it seems you have lots of platies!

Quick question, though, when you said you noticed the behavior between the female guppy and male platy, did you mean the guppy was going up and nipping the platy?

Comment

Yes, it's always been guppy nipping platy. But the platy goes up to the guppy and turns on his side. I don't understand.

Should I throw some aquariums salt in there? Like I said, College Station water is HORRIBLE as in it's really soft and has a ridiculously high pH.

My parameters of the tank right now are as follows:
                  pH: 8.0 which isn't as bad as I originally thought >.<
                  Ammonia: 0 ppm
                  Nitrates: about 2 ppm?
                  Nitrites: (forgot the test at home, but Petsmart's dipstick said 0ppm on Sunday)

Also, if you suggest that I put in some aquarium salt, how much and will it hurt the loaches?

Comment

Working...
                  X