Good Shrimp To Live With My Frog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Shrimp To Live With My Frog

As some of you might know I have a 10G set up with an African Dwarf Frog, 3 Neon Tetras & an Otto.  I really love shrimp, especially CRS, and I was wondering if I could keep some shrimp in the tank with whos in there now?  I've had Ghost Shrimp in there before and everything went fine, but I'm interested in having a different kind of shrimp now.  Would CRS or Cherry Shrimp hurt the Frog?  I dont think the Frog would mess with them since it never messed with the other shrimp.  Any advice would help, Thanks!!

Re: Good Shrimp To Live With My Frog

I think you would be fine.  Any kind of those small shrimp don't have claws big enough to do anything except grab algae.

Comment

How old is the frog? I've heard that they can be eating machines once they grow up, but I've never had one, so I don't know for sure. Was he a lot younger when you had the ghost shrimp in there, and has he grown any since?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I've had him about 6 months now and he is still pretty small.  In fact I dont think he has grown much since I got him.  He has always been around ghost shrimp since I've had him.  There are 3 in there with him now, but I'm going to move them out soon.

Comment

I would be more worried about the frog eating the shrimp....especially expensive CRS. You could probably try the sp."blue"/blue algae eating shrimp which are a bit bigger, Amano shrimp or some sort of wood shrimp...
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Are you sure you have a dwarf frog and not an Albino African Clawed Frog? I know that at Walmart they sell them side by side and they are both about the same size at the time of purchase. The Dwarfs are NOT albino and they will stay very small, but the Albino Xenopus frogs will grow to about the size of a baseball and eat everything in front of them.

I have two adults right now that came from Walmart, and I can't keep them in a tank with gravel because they will swallow it and die as they are trying to eat something else. These frogs are super crazy because they will bite at everything that moves! I once tried to put a small fantail goldfish in the tank with them to try to keep them clean and I thought it would be ok since neither frog could fit it in their mouth... The next morning I found the goldfish dead because the frogs saw that tail and just had to have it... Poor thing...

Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to figure out the species of your frog for sure before anyone gives advice on what to put in as tank mates... The Albino Clawed Frogs can grow super slow too, so they can sometimes be confused with dwarfs. LOL, a lot of people have bought one frog of each species from Walmart and then one day they can't find their dwarf because the Albino ate it! I have heard of this happening quite often, actually! Good luck on your shrimp!!

Rebekah

Comment

I'm 100% sure he is a Dwarf Frog.  I had a Albino Clawed Frog when I was a kid, and made sure I got a Dwarf Frog for my son.  

Ek - Where is a good place to find the shrimp you're talking about trying before I get CRS?

Comment

I've got two of the dwarf african frogs.  they won't get very large at all.  I saw mine trying to catch/eat guppy fry though.  

I don't think any of the shrimp will hurt the frog, but I bet the frog would find shrimp to be quite tasty...
                The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Spot86t - Where did you get your frogs from?  I did have two myself, but one passed away shortly after buying them.  So I'm trying to find a place that sells Healthy Dwarf Frogs.  

I know the Frogs will eat Guppy Fry and some people even feed them to their frogs, but I never have.  Like I said though, the one I still have has always lived with Ghost Shrimp and there have never been any problems.  Just wanted to get a few opinions before I put more expensie shrimp than Ghosts in with him.  Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Comment

FishGallery has the amano shrimp.....but those are much larger then CRS or RCS so to truly find out if they eat those is to try your luck.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I got mine at the grand opening of petco in atascocita - about a year ago.

Had them in the fish tank for a while, but for the last 8 months or so I've kept them in one of those 9.96 triangle shaped 1/2 gallon plexiglass tanks from walmart.  They've done fine in there, I give them frozen bloodworms about once a week, and once or twice during the week a pinch of flake food.  

They laid eggs about 6 months ago, but I didn't get them out before they ate them.
                      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
                      X