Vertical Guppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical Guppy

I have a pregnant female guppy that is in the dark corner of the. She has been there most of the day. She is pretty big(not as big as a couple other pregnat guppies i have). Anyways she seems to be standing almost vertical. Been like that most of the day. She does seem to eat well if i feed them and if i tap on the glass a little she will come right out with the rest of the guppies to the front of the tank.

Is she going to birth soon? Or is there somethign wrong?

Re: Vertical Guppy

something is wrong, not sure what though, when i had guppies having babies before, they did not do that, maybe someone on here more experienced can diagnose
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I had one of mine do that and she didn't make it.  Sorry ... I was so sad because if I had been there, perhaps I could have saved her babies... she was about ready to pop.  Good Luck!
      5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
      20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
      29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
      29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
      29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
      55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
      75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Maybe she has like float or something?

I have one female guppy that is insanely prego and she's like a submarine through the tank.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

This is  a lack of balance caused by a  problem in the swim bladder. You can google head standing or swim bladder infection to find more. Here is one little snippit:

Swim Bladder Inflammation ("Head-Standing")
          This is caused by a virus, which is highly infectious. The fish stops eating and cysts are formed at the rear of the abdomen. This distends the body and the fish appears to be standing on it’s head. The body degenerates and chance of recovery is low. The fish should be removed immediately and destroyed.

max

Comment

Isn't that similar to float?

With Cyphos it happens far too often but then again it is curable...
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It may be just colloqual language used by guppy breeders and the same thing but called by a different name for another species of fish. Does any one know for sure?

head standing or swim bladder infection = float ?

max

Comment

Well i watched her this morning and all seems fine. I did however put her into a rubbermaid container with and airpump and a few fake plants. I figure I will QT her in there for a week or two and she will probably end up birthing in there also.

Comment

In that case try adding some epsom salt to the tub.....maybe it'll help and make sure you have a heater to try and keep it warm like 80-82 maybe it'll pass through.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                  X