African cichlid ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African cichlid ?

Well I know what rather who killed my German that I talked about in the disease thread. 90% sure it was my Blueberry zebra, he usually only chases my Socolofi or the male Johannii, but I guess I learned that he attacks any new males also. Well I picked up the Hongi from Mrairportjunke hoping to aggressive fish will occupy each others time, before I got him I moved everything around and did a cleaning job at the same time. Well I put the Hongi in last night and i saw the Blueberry chase him a couple of times but when the Hongi stayed in a certain corner he left him alone. Well this morning the Hongi looked bad not as bad as the German did but looked like the Blueberry bit him on the side a couple of times so i qt'd him before I left. So my question is to better intergrate them could I qt the blueberry and let the Hongi get settled into the tank and then later a few days put the Blueberry back in? I am wondering if that will allow the Hongi to pick an area and get is confidence back. Note to Mrairport he obviously is no longer the bully the Blueberry put him in check. Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks,

Brian
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Re: African cichlid ?

Did you rearrange the territory?

How big is the tank again?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm taking fishlady bassfishing tomorrow, if you want, I can take the blackberry with us, we'll see how he stacks up against largemouth bass if you like?  

Seriously, I think you're likely to find them always fighting from now on, get rid of one of them or do what I do, get another tank.... :)  

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

perhaps try to make more territories?  so each will have a 'home'?

will dither fish give them something to focus on rather than each other?

Just some thoughts as I dont' have many aggressive fish.
        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Thump it!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Total rearrangement and its currently a 55G upgrading to 125 in 3 weeks
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Maybe try doing it again...with 40-50% water change...rearrange rocks.....cover tank with dark blanket and leaving them like so for a day or two....maybe even net the culprit out into another tank or a breeding net while doing so.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well once I get my 125 set up I am going to make one section full of hidding places for all of Mbuna group. Yeah right CF, I expect them to fight but not kill. So you all dont think it will help to take the Blueberry out and let the Hongi get used to the tank by himself?
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

You can try to reintroduce him after a bit of time but I found out that if they just have a mean gene in them it's just a matter of time before he tanks the tank over again.  How many fish do you have in the tank with him.  The lack of hiding places with complications from fairly close quarters will multiply agression issues.  The fish just don't have enough space to swim away and keep to their own territories.  I had a hybrid that wiped out a few of my prize males in the same manner yours has.  I ended up having to sell him so he could pick on someone else's fish.  He was a really nice looking fish and I hated to get rid of him but the death toll was getting up there.....Eureka Jake Male, Bi-Color 500 Male, German Red Male were a few.  The only thing that he wouldn't mess with was a Red Empress male that came in knowing he was the boss....LOL.

Comment

I have 8 in there
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

WOW.....maybe you need 8 more to divert some of the agression.  I have 3 more Hongis and a female Ice Blue that you could add...LOL

Comment

well for now i think the 8 is enough for a 55 but once i set up the 125 i will get more. I am going to get some of yours if you have any left after I move. I think I need more females, I do not really want to breed these guys but if a guy needs to release is aggression then you have to help a brother out.  
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

i am currently just under the whole 1G/1" rule total adult length of all my fish is about 52"
                          Resident fish bum
                          330G FOWLR
                          34G Reef
                          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Yeah, I would agree with Hanson here, a couple more fish may do the trick, but then again, maybe you would just end up with more injured fish too?

Good Luck

CF
                            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I don't follow alot of those supposed "rules" too closely.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X