Resealing Hex Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resealing Hex Tank

I got a Hex tank that has a couple of leaks. Now I have a couple of questions.

1. Do i remove ALL of the old silicone to the point where the glass are free from eachother or do i just remove as much from the surface and leave the bead that is in between the glass.

2. I bought GE Silicone II*. I have read to use that and some places i read to use GE I. Which is it? Noth say not for aquarium use.

3. How long does it need to cure?

4. Any other tips?

Thanks.

Re: Resealing Hex Tank

New silicone will not stick to old silicone so I think you should remove as much as you can. The silicon you want to use is the one that does not have mildew inhibitors....which one, I forget. Cure time I would let go for at least a week to be on the safe side.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Alright.

So i need the one without "bioseal" (GE II). And remove all the silocone to the bare glass.

Thanks

Comment

Use the one that is 100% silicone. Silicone will dry after 24 hours butr your better off if you let it sit much longer.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

GE Silicone I is what I've heard to be aquarium safe.
          So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Sealed and curing. I used GE I for doors and windows. I am planning to let it set fro 3-4 days before i test it out. Lets hope things go well.

Comment

i used GE1 on my 60 and have some smaller tanks i am gonna reseal all at once, but yeah #1 works fine. you dont have to remove all the silicone so the glass isnt held together  just as much as you can possibly get from the inside of the glass and edges. then just use a nice thick bead of silicone and spread (that gets interesting i have one kinda squigly on my 60 i did but it still held)
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

This site may help:

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
                Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Put water in it. Still holding after 30 mins wiht no leaks.

Hope that did the trick. Will Proabably leave it with water till sunday. My dad still has to build the hood and i have to sand and restain the stand so i am in no rush to set it up.

Comment

Working...
                  X