Treatment of erythromycin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatment of erythromycin

I have been having problems with this type of algae Blue-Green, Slime Algae  well cyanobacteria

The only way to make it go away is with the treatment of erythromycin BUT had a question for someone who knows about this or has had this problem too.

I have a Planted 50GAL aquarium and right now I don't have it all the way full probably around 35-40GAL on it
    Should I treat it know as it is or fill it up and treat it.

Here's what I bought

E.M. Erythromycin™ Powder

For broad spectrum treatment and control of bacterial disease, such as body slime, mouth fungus, Furunculosis (open lesions and swelling), bacterial gill disease and hemorrhagic septicemia (blood spots without sign of skin damage). For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Can be used with any API Ich, fungus or parasite remedy to help prevent secondary bacterial infection. This medication will not color the aquarium water

Instructions:
    For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration.
    For each 10 gallons of water, empty 1 packet directly into aquarium.
    Repeat dose after 24 hours.
    Wait another 24 hours, then change 25% of aquarium water.
    Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses.
    Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.
    Treatment may be repeated, if necessary.
    Broad spectrum treatment and control of bacterial fish infections such as: hemorrhagic septicemia; fin and tail rot; mouth fungus (cotton mouth disease); open red sores; bacterial gill disease in freshwater and saltwater aquariums.

This package contains 10 powder packets and treats up to 100 gallons

If I leave the aquarium as it is now I can treat it three time but if I fill it up can only do it twice and buy another $15  8O pack.

Re: Treatment of erythromycin

Well, if you aren't having any problems with it not being totally full, I'd say treat it like it is. Just make sure you have a good filter in there (minus carbon, of course). Cyano doesn't like flowing water, from what I hear. When you do the water changes suggested on the meds, try to suction out as much of the cyano as you can. It should be dying, and therefore much easier to siphon out.

I started a thread on this a while back...only got one response, but it was informative:

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well right now I think I have very little to almost non BUT, that none is what worries me.It could just come out any hour..

I mean I could fill it up but would only be able to treat it twice....and with around 30GAL or so in it three times...

And pretty sure it may come back>>>will try to see what I could do to change my water conditions.

I found this

Code:
      http://www.floridadriftwood.com/algae_identification.html

Comment

O and sorry Tanks Mzungu    

Comment

Why sorry?

I hate to say it, but it's probably a good idea to get another pack of this stuff. As the link you provided says, and I've heard, cyano can become resistant to antibiotics. So if you don't finish the treatment and it returns, it may be harder to get rid of. Not sure. But it's usually a good idea to finish any treatment of antibiotics.

Here's another good link I found:

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

For the help..

And yeah i guess I will have to buy an other.

Comment

In my experience, it only takes 2 complete weekly doses of E-mycin to kill the blue-green.

Personally, i wouldn't follow the daily dosage treatment that is listed on the bottle. The dosage there is meant for killing fish-related bacterial infections, not for BGA (e-mycin is an antibiotic).

IMO, if used solely for BGA, you just need to do 2 doses. First dose to kill most of the existing BGA, then after a week, a second dose to "clean up" any stragglers. No water changes in between.

After the second week, then use the carbon to remove the medication. But remember to remove the carbon after it has done it's job. Otherwise it will eventually leach back into the water

Do take note that E-mycin is an indiscriminate bacterial killer, which means it also kills off the good bacteria in your filter. Be on the lookout for ammonia spikes as both the Nitrifying bacteria and BGA dies. I would suggest keeping a packet of biospira on hand in case of emergencies.

Good luck!
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Well thanx for the info man.... 8)  

Where could I get some of that biospira never heard of it. :?

Comment

Biospira is kinda like instant nitrifying bacteria in a packet. I use it to cycle my tanks and keep some on hand in case of a filter crash.

I'm not sure of any stores in channelview that sell those, but in houston I've gotten it at Aquariumworld and at Fish Gallery. But call to make sure because  they sometimes sell out.
                  www.ventralfins.com

Comment

This first treatment worked great      
                    Hope the second one will too :?  :?

Comment

Great!
                      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
                      X