german blue rams are fanning eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• german blue rams are fanning eggs

I just got them yesterday in Fishgallery and now they are fanning eggs on a rock I used to hold new driftwood. It's right in the middle of the tank, but hidden behind some Java Moss.
    Tank has corries, pearl gouramies(!), cardinals, glowlight tetras, and ottos in it.
    I am affraid to move the rock, but doubt they have a chance in a community tank, although so far they manage to keep everybody away (guess the community didn't notice the eggs yet).

Would it be better to try to move the rock tommorrow (will need to buy some small tank), or separate pearls with some devider, or just leave it as it is?

Re: german blue rams are fanning eggs

wow, that is so cool, i can't wait till i get my rams, keep us posted, obviously i have no experience to answer your questions
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I don't have any either  :(

Comment

Please post your water paramaters  :)
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have no detectable anything no ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate (plants[?])
          Ph ~ 6.5 (Amazonia soil[?])
          Temp 82F (now) normally I keep it at 80F
          I can measure, but low Gh, Kh
          Why?

Comment

Soft Acid water makes all the difference !

Write it down and then when they won't spawn for you, you'll know what to fix.  

PS - you can add this to you list of good reasons to put new fish in isolation  
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

PhishPhreek
              Having the second tank would cause me to divorce, unless there is a good reason like this one and it still has to be a small tank :)

Comment

Had a similar thing hapen to me.
                While visiting a LFS I found a verry large pair of Albino Paradise Fish which I purchased even though when I got home I had no place to put them.  So I took a styrafoam shipping container 2' x 2' x 12" tall and put 6" of water in it, some zip drops and a floating plant or two floated the bag for 15 minutes, released them and jumped into bed.
                Next morning I found a large bubble nest full of eggs.
                Because paradise eggs float, I was able to remove the parents and raise the fry in the shipping container.
                The next time I was at that LFS I told the owner and he freeked.  Turned out that they were his personal fish and he had been trying to spawn them for over a year.   When he gave up, he moved them to the store and sold them to me.
                Unfortunately I didn't save the water parameters.

Comment

I have no experience with rams, but if they were mine, I'd ask myself, Do I want to have this beautiful pair of fish looking great in this tank, where they are obviously doing well, or do I want to try and raise babies?  Guess if I really wanted to try and raise the babies, I'd try to take the rock out, or wait till the next time they spawn and try to be more prepared with a place to move it. I don't think I'd risk a great pair like that moving them around a lot to spawn. For people with limited time, space, or tanks, it always seems to come down to having a nice display or ending up tending bare baby tanks.  Just my two cents worth.  The rams look awesome.
                  MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

I agree with High-PH, do whatever you feel comfortable with! And congrats! They're obviously happy no matter what you decide.  

I see how you might be worried about the gouramis eating the eggs, but everyone else in your tank might just be peaceful enough to be bullied by the rams if they get too close. They are cichlids, so they'll probably try to defend their eggs from others.

If it was me, I think I would watch and wait it out a little bit. They spawned immediately, so I'd have reason to believe they'd do it again if this time didn't work out. If I saw that they were not all that successful in protecting the eggs, then I might try to move the rock to a small tank (you can get a 5 gallon for pretty cheap, and a sponge filter). It'd be much easier to move the rock than to move the gouramis, I assume. But if they seem to be doing a good job, then I'd let them be and see if anything hatches!

Regardless, let us know what happens and what you decide.
                    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Looks like female lost interest in the "nest", but male is on guard. It is hard to see the eggs - it's on the back (clean) part of the Java Moss wrapped stone close to the back plants. Actually, I am preatty sure  eggs are fine, looks like he can defend them, but I doubt he can defend them if they hatch
                      I am going to get devider ready (may be handy later anyway), and buy a small tank for new fish and occasions like this for later.
                      I may try to bread them later (although it never worked with any fish, but guppies before), it is really interesting to watch them "on the nest", hadr to believe.

Comment

Moved the rock with a driftwood to the side of the tank and inserted divider. Can see the eggs now.

Parents are still taking turns in guarding the eggs although femaile often wonders away.

Comment

All right! That's great that they're still there. I guess it's okay if the female wanders away now that they're isolated.  :)

Comment

In the morning it looked like most of the eggs are gone  :?  Could they hatch in ~1.5 days
                            I can see transparent "shells" where they were if I look against the light.
                            Can't see anything swimming, but it's a lot of plants there. Doesn't look too good. I will keep divider in see if I can see anything till Sunday.

Comment

Hmm...don't think it's quite that fast. But I agree, keep the divider in just in case!

Comment

Working...
                              X