Help - Hermit Crab Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Hermit Crab Questions

I have been blessed with a salt water hermit crab that my daughter and her fiance brought home from Galveston.

The crab was in about 2 feet of water, has a body about the size of a 1/2 dollar and has a good size shell it is wearing.

I currently have it in a 15 gal. tank, filled about 3/4 with brackish 1.010 water,Fiji sand, various cleaned shells and rocks piled so that it can get out of the water if it wants to and a sponge filter.

My questions:

1. What salinity does it need?
    2. Does it need to be able to get out of the water or do they stay submerged?
    3. What should I feed it?

All advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Help - Hermit Crab Questions

There are hermits at most LFS for reef tanks and they are submerged all the time.

1.I keep my Reef tank at 1.023-1.025
    2. Would not know since the ones I have seen are submerged
    3. HBH Hermit crab cakes if you want but they are scavengers so they will eat anything.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Forgot to mention...I have some Chaeto which is SW algae that is good for reef tanks cause it absorbs nitrates/phosphates and it also host pods which is used for food for most animals. It needs to be cleaned though since it's been bagged for some time now.

Also I have a coralife hydrometer that you can have if you wanna take it all.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Here's a link I found but I think these are a bit different from what you got from Galveston.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks, checked it out and I agree, don't think that they are the same as this one.

BTW, I sent you a PM, not sure if it went through or not.

Comment

I have one, as well. It's probably the same kind as yours. I keep it in brackish water (I found it in a marsh) at about 1.015 +/- a bit. I'm sure that it will do well in either brackish or full marine. And I'm glad you have a place for it to get out of the water!

Mine eats frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp right out of my hand, goes crazy for them!

I think everything about your setup is perfect. You can raise the salinity if you wanted, but I think he'll be okay in 1.010. Let me find a picture of mine to see if yours is the same kind.

Oh, and if you have any moon snail shells, or spiral shells with openings in a more circular shape, these guys tend to prefer them. Mine started out in a marsh snail's shell, but quickly outgrew it. So just keep those shells in there, make sure they're varying in size, and you're good.  
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

This is the best picture I could find so far. Sorry!

Comment

Thanks everyone. This guy has a LARGE spiral shell of some kind that he's in. I've upped the water to 1.025 and he seems to be a bit more active.

Comment

Just curious but how are you increasing the salinity and how are you checking it?
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

My daughter went out and bought pre-mixed saltwater which is supposed to be at 1.025, we took the crab and put him in a bucket with the brackish water, drained and refilled the tank with the new salt water and did a drip in the bucket till the water was 3x what it was originally, then we moved the crab.
                    I'm assuming that the water is 1.025 until I pick up the hydrometer from you and can check it.

Comment

Post a pic.. maybe someone can ID it.
                      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

My THANKS to Eklikewhoa  for the algae and hydrometer - tank is reading 1.024  and to Mzungu for the picture (looks just like mine) and both of you for your advice.

Comment

Not a problem!

Sorry I wasn't home to give it to you myself but some things came up. The hermit should be able to feed off the algae itself as well so that's a plus.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Glad to help!  :)

Let us know if the hermit likes the algae...might be a good snack for mine!

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                              Not a problem!

Sorry I wasn't home to give it to you myself but some things came up. The hermit should be able to feed off the algae itself as well so that's a plus.
                              Anyone ever notice how you never see EK or superman around at the same time ?

Seems he's always out when I go there too???  ummmmm.......?????

CF
                              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X