Reseal Leaking tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reseal Leaking tank

I am in the process of scraping out the silicone. Do ya think I will need to take off the trims?

Re: Reseal Leaking tank

You shouldn't your seal should be on the inside of the tank.

Comment

I wouldn't remove the trim, but I would make sure you get the old silicone off the inside bottom lip of the trim so you will be able to get a good bead at the joint where the glass meets the trim.  Also, on my last re-seal, the one spot I had trouble with was the joints of the trim itself.  Make sure you get silicone completely covering the underside of the mitered joint of the trim.  My tank will leak very slowly through the trim if I get water touching the trim because I failed to do so.

Richard
      neuendri

160 Gal. Odyssea - African Cichlid
      45 Gal. Odyssea - Planted
      35 Gal Corner African Cichlid grow-out
      4-10 Gal African Cichlid Nursery

Comment

thanks guys. I trying to plan this out before I actually get into it. Could I use some kind of tool to try to remove as much silicone from the joint? The leak is coming from the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Razor blade is about all I can think of.

Comment

Go to the parts store....autozone/o'reilly's/advanced/carquest/napa and get a gasket scraper....there are some on handles that take razor blades...should make the job a bit easier and your hands further away from the blade.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Once you have scraped as much silicon away as possible, use a wire brush to  clean it completely.  New silicon will not adhere to old silicon very well, so you will end up leaking again.  Once thats done take acetone or rubbing alcohol to remove the last of the residue.  Use a plastic spoon to smooth the new silicon out, and make sure you do it quickly, as the silicon dries very quickly.

Comment

got the scraper screw driver lookalike from autozone. Time to get to work.

Comment

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Question, what kind of silicone removers can I find from home depot? Wanna make sure all of the old silicone is remove before I reseal.

Comment

sealed the tank. its been holding water in the garage for almost a week.
                      Not the best seal job but its working.

Comment

Working...
                      X