computer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer problems

Hey you guys.  Are you guys good with computer?  My computer is messing up for some reason. THis time I don't know how to fix it.  The monitor wont work.  I try plugging the monitor in my brother ocmp it works butg not mine. I usually just reformat the computer that does the trick. This time I even switch my old computer video card to the new one still wont read the monitor.  It's on but the light keep blinking and the computer say it's testing.  Never had this happen before.  Should I switch the motherboard?  I dont want to take something out and not knowing how to put it back and screwing everything up.
    180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Re: computer problems

Obviously the cables have to be connected right and the video card has to be in the slot good. It might be your power supply. Does the fan in your power supply come on and run? You might also want to open the box and see if the other fans are coming on. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING WITH THE BOX OPEN. It won't do you or the computer any good! When you turn yuor computer off it stays on. There may be a led light inside to let you know it is on. The only way to really turn the computer off is to unplug it.It could also be that one of your drives is going out and using too much power. You could unplug all the CD/DVD/hard drives and it should start, boot only with only the floppy connected. There may be unnecessary cards in the computer as well. It will start without everything but the video card. If you are not able to isolate/eliminate the problem then I bet it is the power supply.

max

Comment

What did you do to it last?
      Download/Removed something recently?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Did you use the same video cable when you tested the monitor on the other computer?

Comment

Yes everything was the same just different computer.  This the first time it had ever happen.  I even switch hard drives its not the hard drive or video card.  I think its one of the cables.
          180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Checking whether the video card is properly seated in its slot is an excellent suggestion. Also, are your video cards an AGP or PCI? If both are AGP try to borrow a PCI video card and test your monitor through a PCI slot, make sure you test all slots if one doesnt work. If it works its your AGP slot which would require a review of your motherboard settings to make sure it isnt something there..if settings are correct may be cheaper to replace motherboard. Also if you find its an AGP and PCI slot issue replacing motherboard. Not knowing what is make of computer I would caution you to contact manufacturer to see if you can use nonproprietary parts (like the notorious Dells) But dont change motherboard until you check slot.

The reason you are told to not touch anything because of the threat of static electricity that can destroy the internal parts of your computer. Of course to check if the video card is seated correctly and you dont know how to visually confirm you will need to touch it and feel if it loose. If you do this make sure the computer is OFF and throw the switch (if there is one) on the fan as off, but keep the computer cord plugged to maintain a ground. If you do not have a static strap (available at any computer store), keep a hand on the fan housing to  release the static electricity.

Comment

Working...
            X