X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what happen at Sunny's

Pet store owner accidentally shoots, kill woman

The owner of a northwest Houston business who was trying to stop a man from entering the place of business Friday night accidentally shot and killed a woman, officials said.

Gloria Cruz, 31, was shot in the head outside Sunny Fish and Pets, in the 2900 block of Gears Road about 10:30 p.m.,officials said. She died at the scene.

Able Abrego told investigators he would not let the man in because he looked suspicious and thought he was going to commit a crime, said Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. Dana Wolfe.

Abrego got his shotgun when he saw the man was carrying a handgun, Wolfe said.

While letting other patrons in, Abrego told investigators the man began walking toward the door, Wolfe said. Fearing for his safety, Abrego shot at the man but struck Cruz, who stepped in the path of the bullet.

The man then fled on Gears Road toward Veterans Memorial on foot, officials said.

He was wearing a white T-shirt and stonewashed (faded) blue-denim pants. Investigators think he may have been shot during the incident, officials said.

No charges have been filed. Wolfe said the case will be referred to a Harris County grand jury. Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the man who fled the scene in this case is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

anita.hassan@chron.com

Re: Look what happen at Sunny's

So the owner of sunnys shot a women dead?

I thought sunnys was shut?

Comment

wow I thought they was closed to.  Drove there a couple times it was closed.
      180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

It looks like its an 8 line betting parlor now.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I thought so....but the chronicle said pet store.

Comment

It was an illegal game room.....what they do is rent old places like "Sunny's" or "Tip Top cleaners" and use it as a front for it so they don't get busted or don't look suspicious.  

Sunny's closed down long time ago and the name was not put there by Mike....Please read the link completely before rumors start.

Here's what the site says......"Gloria Cruz, 31, was shot in the head outside the game room, fronting as Sunny Fish and Pets"
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, thats why i cut and paste the first draft.

Comment

Yeah but I just wanted to make it clear for those that don't read so that a good guy doesn't get his name dragged through the mud.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Isn't the owner at sunny name mike.  The article say his name was abrego dont see there is any confusion, but yeah read just to make sure.
                  180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Yeah but for those that don't know or read well will glimpse over it and see Sunny's, Illegal gambling and shot women.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i have a question?.....what does this newspaper story have to do with african cichlids..... ?????

Comment

Fishlady,

Not a darn thing. Read the first draft of the article and you would think that Sunny's was still a pet store.

But I think I posted in the wrong forum  :arrow:    8)  8O  

Comment

Kill this post please MB. If the link is not followed this is a very misleading post. Besides being in the wrong forum it is slanderous and should not remain. Despite the fact that Sunny's is no longer in buisness it could adversley affect Mike's new store which is due to open later this month.
                          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Spoke with Mike today. He has been closed down for awhile now & has nothing to do with the location at which this has happened at.

Mike is one of the best people you will ever meet.
                            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

yea, Mike is one of the best that you will ever meet.

When I posted this story. It was not to point fingers or discredit mike in any given way. But to show everyone how screw up the local media is today.

So, if anyone took it the wrong way I aplogize.

Comment

Working...
                              X