Clear All

• Homemade Python

Guys check this out.

Re: Homemade Python

Nice, thanks for posting that!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

YES, we can all use this DIY tip for sure.....many thanks.

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I finished putting one together which was very simple. The only issue I found was you must have sufficient water pressure from the sink your using. I have to use my outside faucet to get enough pressure to siphon, but works great.

Comment

All I use is the garden hose faucet for my python......thing will siphon gravel through the 12" tube like no tomorrow!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I couldn't find the waterbed drain and fill kit at Loews.  I think I am going to try to go to a waterbed store.  Gotta drive to Katy

Comment

don't drive all over the place.....check walmart....they have them.....

Comment

thats what i did.  i made my own. i use to have a water bed and when i got my first tank.  i saw those things for sell at petsmart.  and laughed.  siad hell i got hose, siphone thing and all that.  all i bought was the gravel sucker thingy.  lol.  but im thinking about cheatin on mine.  i think im gonna hook a power head to mine next to see how that does.  i think its gonna suck to hard though for my gravel and get clogged. but im gonna try the pantyhose trick to keep the gravel from goin in there.  ill have to let yall now .

Comment

check walmart for the 25' python...it's like $30
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I got the valve at Ace Hardware.  I haven't finished yet but I need 40', so if I can get it all put together I will save a bunch, but not that much if walmart has them for $30.
                    Thanks all.

Comment

okay, I got all my parts and I am ready to go.  So I drain, add chemicals, and refill making sure temperature of the tank matches that coming from the faucet.  

I am kinda worried about the chlorine not immediately neutralizing by the chemicals, especially if I need to do a up to 50% change.  First I am going to do my small tanks, cause if the fish die I can live with it.  If the angels in my 35gal. die I would be crushed.

I will report how it goes but please post any tips for me if you have any.

Comment

If you are concerned about the dechor, add some prior to starting the refill and then some during the refill.  If you see the fish starting to stress (ie: hanging out around the top, etc.), you can always add more neutralizer.  In a larger tank the temp of the water from the tap is not as great of a concern, on a large volume of water it will quite a bit to drastcially change the temp.  On a smaller tank you would need to be more cautious of the water temp of the refill water.
                        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Thanks for the help.

But WTF, the sink faucet adapter doesn't fit!  Back to the hardware store.

Comment

Try to get a brass adaptor if you can, they last much longer.  Voice of experience here  
                            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I brought my part to the store and he unscrewed part of the adapter and it fits my sink.  If I would have looked closer at the adapter I might have noticed.  

I had no problems sucking the water out of the tank and using the local shutoff.  However when filling if I had the valve shut off, water sprayed from the sink connection.  It wouldn't have been any different had I bought the python, the pressure coming from the faucet needs release when on.  It isn't much of a problem to run into the kitchen to shutoff the water when I am done filling the tank.  I wrapped the connection in a towel to keep the spray in the sink.

Comment

Working...
                              X