Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help a Reef guy with his 1st planted tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a Reef guy with his 1st planted tank!

For the past few weeks I have been wanting to set up a small (~10 gallon) planted tank with a few shrimp and tetras. I have not completely decided on my budget and am debating between a setup like eklikewhoa has in this thread or using an existing tank and light that I already have and going cheap.

The tank that I have right now is 10 gallons but is 26 L X 6.5 w X 17" h (here is a picture of the tank and light)
    65 W coralife CF light (with a new 7100K bulb that has been ordered)
    15 lbs of Flourite Plant Substrate (has been ordered)
    Hagen Plant Gro Natural CO2 System (has been ordered)
    Eheim AQUABALL INTERNAL FILTER 2208 (has been ordered)

Please let me know what you think. The tank is going on a bar counter top and will be viewable from all sides so I want everything to be neat. I have two reef tanks but have never done a planted freshwater tank and am way clueless on the subject. Should I try and see how things go with this setup or should dive on in and go for a setup like the one in the link above by eklikewhoa.

Thanks! I am glad that I found this site. I have been a MARSH member for a few years but just found the HoustonFishBox today!
    300 Gallon Freshwater Turtle Tank
    120 Gallon Reef
    58 Gallon SPS Reef
    57 Gallon Mixed reef
    6 Gallon Fluval Edge Planted tank

Re: Help a Reef guy with his 1st planted tank!

Ek's planted tank is beautiful without a doubt. Whether you choose to do it like his, would depend on whether or not you are willing to put the time and money into something like that. As a reefer, I am sure you know the amount of maintanence that can be required on a tank. Is there anyway that you can put a hold on the items that you have ordered? I think you got an actinic bulb as opposed to a daylight bulb. could be wrong though. I just haven't heard of a 7100K bulb. I personally like Fluorite, although eklikewhoa swears by the ADA line.

What type of plants are you thinking about keeping in your 10g?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

armthehomeless, I had to look at the description of the bulb again. It is a 7100K daylight bulb so I should be good.

You are talking to a guy with a fish room  :) . I don't mind putting in the time (or the money if required).  I do not know what type of plants I will use. I like the short mat/grass stuff and mosses the best but also want some stuff with some height.
      120 Gallon Reef
      58 Gallon SPS Reef
      57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

Sounds like the perfect lighting for the job!

And as armthehomeless stated....I swear by ada aquasoil! With the amount of light I highly rec. Dosing fertilizers and probably going with a more consistent co2 set up like pressurized.

Being a new reefer I would say that high-tech planted tank is as hard if not harder then a full blown reef tank. Consistancy,balance, lights and maintenance!
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Do you love the small ADG CO2 system that you have? How long does a tank last you on the tank that it is on? Did you buy it here in Houston from ADG or online?
          120 Gallon Reef
          58 Gallon SPS Reef
          57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

I bought most of everything from ADG or City Pets which goes through ADG.

The ver.74 co2 is nice but its not really worth it....it looks nice and as a whole it worked but if not go with a std regulator/tank. The little refills last me a month running 24/7(since there is no real way to turn it off without it being a hassle) and they cost $11($13@FishGallery) which is really not worth it seeing as the 10lb tank cost about $15 to refill and would probably last my tank about 2yrs.

Check out www.RexGrigg.com for the absolute best regulator on the market and then go to  www.beveragefactory.com for the aluminum tank.

ADG is only online but they allow local pick ups but you have to order online, if you get the chance check them out! their tanks are awesome and Mike/Jeff are good people! I think the MARSH meeting is going to be there this coming weekend and NASH(Local aquascaper club) meets there from time to time as well.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Those are some interesting dimensions for a 10g! They might be a bit restrictive in the aquascaping sense, but then again they could make it look really cool since the tank will be viewable from all sides.  :)

I also suggest going with pressurized CO2, especially if you are willing (and able!) to spend the money. Much, much easier, I've found, than the DIY/yeast method, and way more consistent.

Welcome to HFB!  
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Oh, forgot another thing...... Viewable from 3 sides is going to be one challenging scape.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks eklikewhoa! I have been to the ADG showroom (MARSH has their monthly meetings there).
                  120 Gallon Reef
                  58 Gallon SPS Reef
                  57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

Got the light bulb today and the color looks great! The other supplies will not be here until next week.  

eklikewhoa, did you get the CO2 unit direct or from City Pets?
                    120 Gallon Reef
                    58 Gallon SPS Reef
                    57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

The mini little co2? I got that from ADG I believe.

Either should have it and its the same price at both.  But you don't want to get it though.....$11 every month and maybe twice a month for your tank opposed to $15 for probably close to 2yrs.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The problem I have is that this tank is going on a kitchen bar and I don't have a way of hiding the equipment. I think the mini CO2 unit will present itself much better and take up less space.
                        120 Gallon Reef
                        58 Gallon SPS Reef
                        57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

Is there a cabinet below the counter? just get some clippard polyethylene hose and run it to the cabinet where you can stash the co2 tank.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What kind of bulb is it, exactly? As in brand and such. Just curious!
                            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

This is the bulb
                              JALLI PL55W 7100K DAYLIGHT BULB - Straight Pins. Use this bulb in Jalli, Finnex, JBL, and Hamilton Euro Fixtures and retros.
                              120 Gallon Reef
                              58 Gallon SPS Reef
                              57 Gallon Mixed reef

Comment

Working...
                              X