A Personal Triumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Personal Triumph

For over 35 years I suppose, I have been a smoker. I started when I was in HS, and back then I thought it was cool and stylish. Well, ten days ago, I smoked my last ciggarette,  and today, I am very excited about being able to make that statement.

Fishlady agreed to quit with me and she too, has been smoke free now for the past ten days. I tip my hat to her and offer this personal challenge from the two of us.

If there is anyone here who wishes to quit smoking and is ready to free themselves from this nasty habit,  we urge you to make a commitment and set a date and then like the TV ad says....Just Do It...!!

Send me a pm and I'll tell you my plan of action for quitting smoking. I really wish all of you who are thinking about quitting, all the best and hope you do...

Warm Wishes

Steve LaForce

aka CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: A Personal Triumph

I quit cold turkey April 2003.  Since that time, I have smoked about 2 packs, and about 20 cigars.

I think that is pretty damn good comapred to a pack/day it was before that.  Still to this day I miss smoking, but I do not miss the smell, the taste, and the wasted money.

I know I am healthier for it, and all I can tell you is...it will always be a daily battle.  You will notice that people who smoke, have a cough that you never noticed before.  The nasty habbit is so incorporated into your daily life, it is very hard to kick it.

I wish you and fishlady the best...
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I was in the same boat as all of you....I kicked the habit....but will have a cigar every now and then............

Comment

:emtthumbs:  :clap:  :dance:

Great job, you two!!
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks all, it's been a real breeze too. It's like I went to one of them Old Time Religion Revivals in a tent, where the preacher slaps you up against the forehead and you fall back cured of what ails you. I do not go to church, but I surely feel blessed in this case, and I do say a silent "thank you" now and then just cause......
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I don't know about all that breeze business.  I seem to remember a fairly frazzled CichlidFan a few weeks ago....lol.

Congrats you two on your success with this personal endeavor.

Comment

ONLY because I was given some bad news about my sunshine peacocks........ :P  

Comment

8O  :doh:  
                Raul
                PokerFace

Comment

I could tell you a lot of horror stories, but I'm sure you've herd similar
                  Congratulations on the hard part - the first week.
                  (been there more than once)
                  Watch out for that rough day when "just one" will suck you back in.

Whene ever you feel the need just take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can.  :wail:
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i think we've been very blessed with the fact that we really don't want the cigarette as much as just the habit ....if that makes sense.......i love the fact that i can smell my fabric softener on our clothes....and i have found that i loath the smell of cigarettes now....it's very nauseating......and i choke very easy with the smell too....but Steve and I are works in progress you might say......but thanks to the creator we have done what our hearts wanted for a very long time....besides now that he's saving all that money ....he can buy us more fishies.......

hugs to you sweety...congrats on our milestone already.....

Loretta.....aka....fishlady......

oh and thanks to all of you and your kind support......

Comment

My work place actually pays for a quit smoking program and will supply all the nicotine stuff......I use to smoke 2-3 packs a day and for the past 5yrs I have been down to 1pk a day.....quit cold turkey for about 6months when I got hurt at work but for some reason started back up.

Hats off to you guys and hopefully I will be on the wagon shortly.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Congrats you guys!  I too quit cold turkey in August of 2002, coming up on five years smoke free!  I know what fishlady is saying, I quickly started hating the smell of smoke when I quit.  Occasionally I miss it but I know I'm better off without them.  I was lucky, my husband quit with me and that made it so much easier.  I thought it was a breeze too but later my co-workers told me I was a bit of a crab for a few weeks...oh well, at least that's behind me!
                        Again, congrats!!!
                        58G Malawis
                        10G planted

Comment

Working...
                        X