Babies, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies, now what?

well, after 2 months of having our first cichlid tank one became pregnant and we now have babies. think we've counted about 14 so far. took me a little longer than i had hoped to set up a second tank but she released them the same day over the weekend so i guess she was just waiting for a safe place.

now, i'm not sure what to do with them. i'm not sure what they'll end up looking like but i think i know who the male was. do pet stores ever buy them from individuals? just curious. at what age do people usually want to buy them? since they're so small, what size tank can i keep them in? based on my past history, i'm sure it's already too small or soon will be.

thanks all for your help. they probably wouldn't have made it without your replies.

Re: Babies, now what?

Well, a couple questions come to mind that affect the immediate and long term answers.
    1: what type cichlid? if of the dwarf variety a 10 gallon tank could be fine, if however they are of the larger south american variety, a 100 could be to small.
    2: what type cichlid, see #1
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

previous post w/pictures

the top right image (in link above) is the female. pretty sure the male is the blue one behind her. same as top left picture. not exactly sure what types they are.

Comment

OK, 10 gallon will be fine for the first 6 weeks or so. After that a 20l or larger to encourage growout. Those are deffinately Afra (Likoma would be my best guess). Feed the fry crushed flake and baby brine if you have the time and space to hatch them. These guys typically have 10-20 fry per spawn, so 14 sounds about right. You shouldn't have any trouble finding new homes for the fry.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Speaking of fry...a pair of Bolivian Rams spawned on a small piece of driftwood right in the front corner of my 75 gal  community SA dwarf tank.

This is their second try in 2 weeks..they had another batch that got to wiggler stage but by time I saw them they were nearly all picked off and eventually all were.

Gonna try to see if they survive this time by keeping a light over their little corner for 24 hours.

Does anyone think that will or will not work?

Comment

I had a pair of kribs spawn and their fry pretty much survived, but Krib parents are tenacious. Hope Bolivians are as well.

Comment

Like Scott said, you'll be able to find homes for them/sell them. I'm sure LFS will take them, and you can even offer them up here in the Fish Market section when they get a bit bigger.  :)

jklntx:
              Gonna try to see if they survive this time by keeping a light over their little corner for 24 hours.
              Does anyone think that will or will not work?

Not sure, but it might be risky no matter how well they defend their eggs/fry in a community SA dwarf tank... :)
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

bring em by the house Jerry if any are left. We can drop them in a tank til they get bigger.

Comment

Working...
                X