help im no carpenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help im no carpenter

ok heres the deal.  as yall read in another post, im settin my 55 gallon back up cause i wanna try to breed something like GT's or JD's.   Well my mom called me and asked me if I wanted my dads old 30 gallon and another 10 gallon tank in her attick.  Well of course my haveing a fish problem said hellyea.  So Im gonna go get them maybe this weekend.  Anyway my stand for my 55 isnt capable of puttin the 30 long underneath it so if I give the measurements of the 55 for the top and the 30 long would one of you carpenter like people help me out and give me some plans of sorts to build a stand capable of holding a 55 on top and a 30 on bottom.  I wanna stack them so that I can utilize less space.  i realy would appreciate any help. THanks.  

oh and i have access to a bunch 2x4's so thatll help you with wood choice maybe??

Re: help im no carpenter

here is a quick basic 2x4 stand.   It gives you 6" access above a 16" high tank (2-20H or 1-30L) which is a minimum.  If you want more space you need to make the legs longer and the plywood back higher.  If you want to mount a std. 4' flourescent shop light below the top tank you will need to make the "A" pieces 1" longer than the shop light and delete the "C" piece.   Adding a hinged door between the top shelf and the bottom tank(s) is just a cut to fit with 2 hinges.   I prefer to use 1/4" x 3" lag screws (2 per joint) but nails will work.  Predirll the holes to avoid splitting the wood.   If you want to get fancy you can buy turned 4x4 (8') porch colums and cut them in half.

Double Stand
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Phreek You are the man with the plan.  lol.  Another question is how should i fasten it together.  screw like face of B to the end of A and then screw D to both of them?  do i make sense??

Comment

Build the two shelves first
          I like to use carpenters glue and 1/4" x3"L hex head lag screws
        (pre drill 2 - 3/16 dia holes for each connection)

Then attatch the 4 legs  also with lag screws
        (pre drill 2 - 3/16 dia holes for each connection)

check that the shelves are level when stand is in final location
         then glue and 1" sheetrock screws to attach the back

paint or stain to the color of your choice and then cover with clear verathane (plastic waterproof paint)
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

thanks phreek.  i really appreciate it

Comment

Working...
          X